Jul 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Every trade deadline there’s a guy whose name I get tired of typing and this year it’s Hunter Pence. I thought it would be Beltran, but that was over rather painlessly. But Pence, yeah, I really am getting tired of typing it.
Anyway, Jon Heyman has an update on the Pence-to-Philly chatter. You’ll recall that the Phillies were trying to swing a deal involving prospects Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Singleton. Heyman says, however, that the Astros have an “unreasonable” asking price. In a later tweet he said that if the Phillies threw Domonic Brown that a deal could get done, so presumably that’s the benchmark for unreasonability.
We probably have three different threads going with Hunter Pence talk right now, but it’s probably worth noting once again that Brown plus prospects seems like a really steep price for Pence. It’d be one thing if the Phillies were fighting for their playoff life or something, but they could stand completely pat and cruise at the moment, making paying such a price too great.
Ruben Amaro is sharp. He has to know this. I almost wonder if he’s just trying to sucker another team like Atlanta into paying too much for Pence. Of if he has some crazy kung-fu move planned that has him ending up with, like, a reincarnated Eddie Matthews in the deal somehow.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 33
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 6
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 88
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)