Jul 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Every trade deadline there’s a guy whose name I get tired of typing and this year it’s Hunter Pence. I thought it would be Beltran, but that was over rather painlessly. But Pence, yeah, I really am getting tired of typing it.
Anyway, Jon Heyman has an update on the Pence-to-Philly chatter. You’ll recall that the Phillies were trying to swing a deal involving prospects Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Singleton. Heyman says, however, that the Astros have an “unreasonable” asking price. In a later tweet he said that if the Phillies threw Domonic Brown that a deal could get done, so presumably that’s the benchmark for unreasonability.
We probably have three different threads going with Hunter Pence talk right now, but it’s probably worth noting once again that Brown plus prospects seems like a really steep price for Pence. It’d be one thing if the Phillies were fighting for their playoff life or something, but they could stand completely pat and cruise at the moment, making paying such a price too great.
Ruben Amaro is sharp. He has to know this. I almost wonder if he’s just trying to sucker another team like Atlanta into paying too much for Pence. Of if he has some crazy kung-fu move planned that has him ending up with, like, a reincarnated Eddie Matthews in the deal somehow.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 43
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (98)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)