Jul 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
Every trade deadline there’s a guy whose name I get tired of typing and this year it’s Hunter Pence. I thought it would be Beltran, but that was over rather painlessly. But Pence, yeah, I really am getting tired of typing it.
Anyway, Jon Heyman has an update on the Pence-to-Philly chatter. You’ll recall that the Phillies were trying to swing a deal involving prospects Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Singleton. Heyman says, however, that the Astros have an “unreasonable” asking price. In a later tweet he said that if the Phillies threw Domonic Brown that a deal could get done, so presumably that’s the benchmark for unreasonability.
We probably have three different threads going with Hunter Pence talk right now, but it’s probably worth noting once again that Brown plus prospects seems like a really steep price for Pence. It’d be one thing if the Phillies were fighting for their playoff life or something, but they could stand completely pat and cruise at the moment, making paying such a price too great.
Ruben Amaro is sharp. He has to know this. I almost wonder if he’s just trying to sucker another team like Atlanta into paying too much for Pence. Of if he has some crazy kung-fu move planned that has him ending up with, like, a reincarnated Eddie Matthews in the deal somehow.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)