Jul 29, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
Every trade deadline there’s a guy whose name I get tired of typing and this year it’s Hunter Pence. I thought it would be Beltran, but that was over rather painlessly. But Pence, yeah, I really am getting tired of typing it.
Anyway, Jon Heyman has an update on the Pence-to-Philly chatter. You’ll recall that the Phillies were trying to swing a deal involving prospects Jarred Cosart, Jonathan Singleton. Heyman says, however, that the Astros have an “unreasonable” asking price. In a later tweet he said that if the Phillies threw Domonic Brown that a deal could get done, so presumably that’s the benchmark for unreasonability.
We probably have three different threads going with Hunter Pence talk right now, but it’s probably worth noting once again that Brown plus prospects seems like a really steep price for Pence. It’d be one thing if the Phillies were fighting for their playoff life or something, but they could stand completely pat and cruise at the moment, making paying such a price too great.
Ruben Amaro is sharp. He has to know this. I almost wonder if he’s just trying to sucker another team like Atlanta into paying too much for Pence. Of if he has some crazy kung-fu move planned that has him ending up with, like, a reincarnated Eddie Matthews in the deal somehow.
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 30
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)