Jul 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Buster Olney put the trade dynamic in perspective this morning, reminding us that for all of this excitement and all of the teams trying to outdo one another for the likes of Hunter Pence, he’s currently 18th in batting average, 50th in OBP and 54th in slugging. Elite? No. More like the last dude at the bar at last call who, while having someone to recommend him, is not who the Phillies planned on taking home with them when they got here earlier this evening. But hey, better than going home alone, right?
For what it’s worth, Olney says there’s a “bidding war” afoot. Ken Rosenthal says the Phillies are making progress, and that the package they want to send to Houston is centered around Single-A right-hander Jarred Cosart and Single-A first baseman Jonathan Singleton. That may not be enough, though, and the Braves lurk.
Closing time is coming soon, bidders. Gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits. I hope you have found a friend.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 2
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 33
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)