Jul 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Buster Olney put the trade dynamic in perspective this morning, reminding us that for all of this excitement and all of the teams trying to outdo one another for the likes of Hunter Pence, he’s currently 18th in batting average, 50th in OBP and 54th in slugging. Elite? No. More like the last dude at the bar at last call who, while having someone to recommend him, is not who the Phillies planned on taking home with them when they got here earlier this evening. But hey, better than going home alone, right?
For what it’s worth, Olney says there’s a “bidding war” afoot. Ken Rosenthal says the Phillies are making progress, and that the package they want to send to Houston is centered around Single-A right-hander Jarred Cosart and Single-A first baseman Jonathan Singleton. That may not be enough, though, and the Braves lurk.
Closing time is coming soon, bidders. Gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits. I hope you have found a friend.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)