Jul 29, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
Buster Olney put the trade dynamic in perspective this morning, reminding us that for all of this excitement and all of the teams trying to outdo one another for the likes of Hunter Pence, he’s currently 18th in batting average, 50th in OBP and 54th in slugging. Elite? No. More like the last dude at the bar at last call who, while having someone to recommend him, is not who the Phillies planned on taking home with them when they got here earlier this evening. But hey, better than going home alone, right?
For what it’s worth, Olney says there’s a “bidding war” afoot. Ken Rosenthal says the Phillies are making progress, and that the package they want to send to Houston is centered around Single-A right-hander Jarred Cosart and Single-A first baseman Jonathan Singleton. That may not be enough, though, and the Braves lurk.
Closing time is coming soon, bidders. Gather up your jackets, and move it to the exits. I hope you have found a friend.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP
- CFT: Three Navy football players to be charged with rape