Jul 29, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
In past years–or past decades, more accurately–the Pirates may have lived with an unproductive veteran first baseman, but with the team in contention for the first time in a long time their patience with Lyle Overbay appears to be running out.
Signed to a one-year, $5 million deal as a free agent, Overbay has hit just .229 with seven homers in 99 games, posting a .646 OPS that ranks 24th among the 26 first basemen with at least 250 plate appearances.
Clint Hurdle indicated to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com that increasing Steve Pearce’s playing time at Overbay’s expense is one option, but Pearce has been even less productive in a part-time role with a .636 OPS.
Pursuing another veteran bat via trade makes sense and Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports that the Pirates are interested in Jason Kubel of the Twins. Of course, with Minnesota unsure whether to buy or sell Kubel may ultimately not even be available. Whatever the case, with the Pirates just 1.5 games out of first place and Overbay adding nothing at an offense-driven position it shouldn’t be too tough or too costly to find an upgrade.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)