Jul 29, 2011, 2:45 PM EDT
Heyman says the Reds and Blue Jays also remain interested and that the Yankees are lurking.
From the Rockies’ perspective, the Indians might be a more attractive suitor than the Red Sox. In Drew Pomeranz and Alex White, they have two pitching prospects superior to any that Boston can offer. Not that they’d necessarily be willing to part with both. But they can build an offer around one of the two and maybe outfielder Nick Weglarz. They’d almost certainly have the best shot of landing Jimenez if they were willing to trade one of the two pitchers and either third baseman Lonnie Chisenhall or second baseman Jason Kipnis.
The Red Sox can’t match that top-level talent, not after trading both Anthony Rizzo and Casey Kelly for Adrian Gonzalez over the winter. They do have a lot of depth, though, and they could potentially offer the Rockies four or five significant prospects for Jimenez and outfielder Ryan Spilborghs.
An Ubaldo trade looked like a long shot a week ago, and it’s still likely less than 50/50 to get done. But the way the rumors are heating up suggests that the odds have gotten shorter these last 48 hours.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 22
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 40
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 63
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 75
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)