Report: Astros told Hunter Pence last night he was being traded

Jul 29, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT

Hunter Pence AP

A source told SI.com’s Jon Heyman that Hunter Pence was told he was being pulled from Thursday’s game due to a trade, only to get left in the game afterwards.

Judging by Heyman’s followup tweet, there’s a suspicion that Astros management agreed to a deal and ownership vetoed it.

If that’s the case, Houston’s in a heap of trouble right now.  GM Ed Wade has made his share of bad deals, but he’s in a great negotiating position here and it sounds like he’s going to be getting plenty of talent in return if he deals Pence.  If ownership is really tying his hands here, then it’s making a big mistake.  The Astros are going nowhere next year, and Pence may never have more trade value than he does right now.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Lasted Pence rumor:

According to Heymen’s tweet a minute ago, #astros prefer to do pence deal wi/ #braves, but atl very protective of bigtime pitching prospects. #phillies working on it

My guess is they like Atlanta’s prospect better than the Phils. But, I have heard all along that Atlanta does not want to part with any of their top prospects.

• Matthew Pouliot - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:35 PM

That’s my take too. And probably smart for Atlanta. Pence isn’t enough of an upgrade to make it worth it. If he were a center fielder, it’d be a different story.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Bingo!!!

• mcchef - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Not too sure that Pence isn’t worth it. I guess it comes down to how much the Braves are willing to give up to take a shot at winning the series. Heyward is having an awful year and Pence is hitting over 80 points higher in average, 180 points or so higher in OPS and 50 points in OBP, with 40 more Rbis, all being done in a MUCH weaker lineup. Also, you have to assume that Chipper and/or Heyward will probably get injured again before the season is over. I understand the pitching prospects are valuable, but they are not a proven quality at the ML level and will not help the Braves get to the promise land this year.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

Matt,

I have to say one thing about Jon Heyman. Out of all of the trade rumor pundits, he seems the most plugged in and is rarely wrong or outlandish like the rest of them. Remember last offseason he was the one reporting all along in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes that there was a mystery team involved, and no one else believed this was the case. There have been other instance where he’s been ahead of the curve.

I trust what Jon Heyman reports more than anyone else. He’s good.

2. phukyouk - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:34 PM

nah they are just screwing with him ALA the dread Pirate Roberts

” each night he would say, good night Wesley, Sleep Well, I’ll most likely kill you in the morning”

• FC - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Good Night Hunter, sleep well, We’ll most likely trade you in the morning.

3. lampdwellr - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I think Pence can play center. The reason he hasn’t played center is because of Bourn, I think. He’s pretty fast and everything, and was a fair CF in 2007.

4. 12strikes - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:23 PM

My guess is that the Phillies offered Brad Ligde, Roy Oswalt, and Jobba Blanton for Hunter with a promise form Ed Wade that the Astros would pay the salary for all 4.

Houston’s owners put a hold on it while they check to see if “Rub’s Bee-a-tch” is tattooed to Ed Wades Far Head.

5. halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

The rumors are flying. Latest is that the Astros want more pitching for Pence that the Phils can offer. The Phils are getting a 3rd team involved to get the pitching that the Astros want.

Rumor has it the Phils are looking to deal Dom Brown to the Yankees for pitching prospects to swing to the Astros, presumably including the Philllies own pitching prospect or two.

• 12strikes - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Why would the Yankees help a team that they might meet in the WS. Does not make sense. Dom Brown is not a big help for the yankees…

I just don’t see it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:02 PM

This is all getting ridiculous. RAJ….move on.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Agreed. I don’t know why Amaro Jr. is in love with Pence. He’s showing this kid so much love that Roy Halladay may become jealous.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM

It’s just stupid at this point. I am getting a bit sick of it. The deal for Lee was a good one: Donald, Marson, Knapp (the kid with perpetual shoulder problems), Carrasco for Lee and Francisco. Drabek, Taylor, somebody else for Halladay. Villar, Happ, Gose for Oswalt. You are talking about giving up more for Hunter Pence than either of those 3. Seriously? Dude isn’t worth it.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I mean, the only way RAJ comes out looking good in this is if he is driving up the price on the Braves and swoops for somebody else. Otherwise, he is looking like a clown for offering so much for Pence. A desperate clown.

• macjacmccoy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM

thats ridicolous the Phillies have tons of pitching. Lower levels but they still got it. Cozart, Colvin, Mays, Biddle, Ramirez, etc.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Rodriguez, Pettibone, relief arms of Aumont, DeFratus, Schwimmer.

6. macjacmccoy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:12 PM

To all my Philly fans ready to throw Dom Brown away its like u guys think Utley or Schmidt lit the world on fire in their rookie year. They were horrible offensively and defensively and they both were the same age as Brown.

Go to this link its a good read it shows you how some of Phillies greatest players played in the beginning of their career and how Brown stacks up.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Thank you. Been saying it for days. I’m getting a bit salty about all of this. I’m not sure why but I am. I’m about ready to throw my mortar and pestle across the damn store.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM

I can tell you I am one Phillies fan that is not a proponent of trading Brown. I would prefer to keep him and give him more time to develop. However, if the trade is for something of better value, I would have to consider it.

• macjacmccoy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM

maybe but a year and 2 monthes of Pence isnt worth 5 years of Brown and a future with Cozart and Singleton.

7. macjacmccoy - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM

If Raj Holmgrens Philly again Ill be so pissed.

8. gallaghedj311 - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Singleton n cosart to Astros. Dom brown to Yankees. Not sure what yankees giving up and what else phils getting back on return other than pence.

9. paperlions - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM

With respect to the Braves, they are on a budget and probably don’t want to pay for Pence twice. He is arb eligible and will probably be getting 8-10$MM each of the next two years….the Braves probably don’t want to give up top prospects and have to pay a big salary…some teams can afford to pay both prices, some can’t.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

The more I think about this, the more ridiculous it is if the proposed deal is really Cosart, Singleton, and Brown. Offering Cosart and maybe a minor prospect probably could have had you Beltran. So, what the Phillies would be saying is that Brown and Singleton are worth one year of Hunter Pence. That is crazy, particularly at the cost of a better play this year.

11. baseballisboring - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

UGH, I’m not a Houston fan, but I really hope it’s not true that ownership vetoed the trade. Houston is in such poor long term shape and Pence is easily the most tradeable commodity. It’s REALLY about time to blow it all up and start over…just kinda stating the obvious

12. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

Now Charlie is spouting off…”I think Brown would be more relaxed in AAA.” I don’t know what the hell is going on with them right now. Can’t wait to this trade deadline is over.

13. feldman9000 - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:52 PM

I’d rather ship Mayberry and Francisco to Yankees and keep Brown. Just as long as they don’t deal Worley. He’s the best pitcher on the staff.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM

Where to start….Well, obviously it would be better to ship Mayberry and Francisco off, however, Francisco has no value and Mayberry doesn’t have the value to garner a top prospect. Furthermore, if you think Worley is the best pitcher on the team, you are crazy.

14. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Now Buster Olney is reporting that the Phillies have absolutely no intention of trading Brown for Pence or additional pieces to add Pence. So, there is a crap load of misinformation going around one way or the other.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Yes. This is how I feel, Good Doctor. I don’t know what to believe anymore, just like almost every year’s trade deadline. I’m honestly perplexed as to what they will do.

But, this is Busta Olney. I lend little credence with what he says. He often tends to be wrong.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Get this, now Olney is reporting Brown to the Blue Jays, Drabek and Gose to Astros, Wallace and Pence to Phillies….minor other pieces involved as well.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Wait, that was a fake Buster Olney. Had the picture and the space in his twitter handle and everything. The lack of followers eventually gave it away though he had me for 2 minutes.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Is there really a difference between the real Busta Olney and a fake one? Who knows, maybe the fake one may turn out to be more right than the real one (lol).

All the trade deadline news to know