Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
10:00 p.m EDT update: CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury confirms the deal, with the Phillies giving up Singleton, Cosart, pitching prospect Josh Reid and a fourth player still to be determined for Pence.
9:00 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal reports that the Astros will get first baseman Jonathan Singleton, right-hander Jarred Cosart and two players to be named in return for Pence. Rosenthal says the PTNBs will not be major prospects, which would seem to rule out May.
8:50 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal is now reporting that the Phillies are close to a deal for Pence and that it’s expected to be completed tonight. No word yet on the properties involved, but the Astros were believed to be asking for 1B Jonathan Singleton, RHP Jarred Cosart and RHP Trevor May.
7:42 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that the Phillies and Astros are “progressing toward” a Pence deal. More as it comes in.
Because we here at HardballTalk are all Phillies, all of the time.
Bell had already created one of the crazier rumors of the day, in which the Padres were supposedly asking for left-hander Derek Holland and top shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar in return for Bell. We didn’t put much stock in that one, though. The Rangers woudn’t give up Profar alone for Bell, and it’d be a surprise if they parted with Holland in such a trade.
Bell is also believed to be a target of the Cardinals.
We’ve gone over the Pence stuff time and time again, but it’s worth noting that ESPN’s Buster Olney recently reported that the Phillies have no intention of parting with Domonic Brown in a Pence trade, whether it’s a two- or a three-team deal.
The Astros, who reportedly aren’t as high on Brown as some, are believed to have asked for the Phillies’ best position prospect (Jonathan Singleton) and their two best pitching prospects (Jarred Cosart and Trevor May) in a Pence deal.
Update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark has multiple sources telling him that there’s no more talk of a three-team deal that would bring Pence to Philadelphia. If it happens, it’ll just be the two teams.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)