Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT
10:00 p.m EDT update: CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury confirms the deal, with the Phillies giving up Singleton, Cosart, pitching prospect Josh Reid and a fourth player still to be determined for Pence.
9:00 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal reports that the Astros will get first baseman Jonathan Singleton, right-hander Jarred Cosart and two players to be named in return for Pence. Rosenthal says the PTNBs will not be major prospects, which would seem to rule out May.
8:50 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal is now reporting that the Phillies are close to a deal for Pence and that it’s expected to be completed tonight. No word yet on the properties involved, but the Astros were believed to be asking for 1B Jonathan Singleton, RHP Jarred Cosart and RHP Trevor May.
7:42 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that the Phillies and Astros are “progressing toward” a Pence deal. More as it comes in.
Because we here at HardballTalk are all Phillies, all of the time.
Bell had already created one of the crazier rumors of the day, in which the Padres were supposedly asking for left-hander Derek Holland and top shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar in return for Bell. We didn’t put much stock in that one, though. The Rangers woudn’t give up Profar alone for Bell, and it’d be a surprise if they parted with Holland in such a trade.
Bell is also believed to be a target of the Cardinals.
We’ve gone over the Pence stuff time and time again, but it’s worth noting that ESPN’s Buster Olney recently reported that the Phillies have no intention of parting with Domonic Brown in a Pence trade, whether it’s a two- or a three-team deal.
The Astros, who reportedly aren’t as high on Brown as some, are believed to have asked for the Phillies’ best position prospect (Jonathan Singleton) and their two best pitching prospects (Jarred Cosart and Trevor May) in a Pence deal.
Update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark has multiple sources telling him that there’s no more talk of a three-team deal that would bring Pence to Philadelphia. If it happens, it’ll just be the two teams.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)