Phillies acquire Hunter Pence from Astros

Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 PM EDT

Hunter Pence Getty Images

10:00 p.m EDT update: CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury confirms the deal, with the Phillies giving up Singleton, Cosart, pitching prospect Josh Reid and a fourth player still to be determined for Pence.

9:00 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal reports that the Astros will get first baseman Jonathan Singleton, right-hander Jarred Cosart and two players to be named in return for Pence.  Rosenthal says the PTNBs will not be major prospects, which would seem to rule out May.

8:50 p.m. EDT update: Rosenthal is now reporting that the Phillies are close to a deal for Pence and that it’s expected to be completed tonight.  No word yet on the properties involved, but the Astros were believed to be asking for 1B Jonathan Singleton, RHP Jarred Cosart and RHP Trevor May.

7:42 p.m. EDT update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that the Phillies and Astros are “progressing toward” a Pence deal. More as it comes in.

///

Because we here at HardballTalk are all Phillies, all of the time.

SI.com’s Jon Heyman just tweeted that Hunter Pence is “very likely to be moved now” and that it appears the Phillies are favored, with the Indians, Red Sox and Reds also in the mix.

Meanwhile, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Phillies “remain active in talks” for San Diego’s available relievers, but that they prefer Mike Adams to Heath Bell.

Bell had already created one of the crazier rumors of the day, in which the Padres were supposedly asking for left-hander Derek Holland and top shortstop prospect Jurickson Profar in return for Bell.  We didn’t put much stock in that one, though.  The Rangers woudn’t give up Profar alone for Bell, and it’d be a surprise if they parted with Holland in such a trade.

Bell is also believed to be a target of the Cardinals.

We’ve gone over the Pence stuff time and time again, but it’s worth noting that ESPN’s Buster Olney recently reported that the Phillies have no intention of parting with Domonic Brown in a Pence trade, whether it’s a two- or a three-team deal.

The Astros, who reportedly aren’t as high on Brown as some, are believed to have asked for the Phillies’ best position prospect (Jonathan Singleton) and their two best pitching prospects (Jarred Cosart and Trevor May) in a Pence deal.

Update: ESPN’s Jayson Stark has multiple sources telling him that there’s no more talk of a three-team deal that would bring Pence to Philadelphia.  If it happens, it’ll just be the two teams.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I am joinung Craig in stating that I am tired of the Hunter Pence suspense.How much longer do baseball fand have to suffer through this agony? Get it over with please.

• proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM

So this Hardball Talk nightmare is just about over. Wonderful.

2. rsox3fan - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:14 PM

The Cape Cod League All Star game is on CSSNE right now from Fenway….. give it a look, it sounds like Lou Merloni is the color guy.not sure though.

3. legaleagle513 - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Nnamdi for the Eagles. Pence would be the cherry on the top.

4. chadjones27 - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:26 PM

How funny would this be if he goes nowhere?

• proudlycanadian - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM

The Astros are all over Pence. They have had their eye on him for some time.

5. rsox3fan - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:28 PM

legaleagle,Pat’s fan as well as the sox thanks for ripping him from the J. E. T. suck suck suck’s.Better hope Micheal stay’s healthy the alternative ain’t so good.Wait we should be having this conversation over at PFT,Craig’s gonna get pissed.

• legaleagle513 - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Agreed Rsox3fan

6. pkswally024 - Jul 29, 2011 at 7:36 PM

^ that’s too funny

7. dusty does ... - Jul 29, 2011 at 8:38 PM

how much more would the phillies need to offer to get kemp from the dodgers? especially with their financial troubles ….

8. halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

This is the bicepts speaking as I watch the game. Brown and Worley will not be involved. Pence will be a Philly. He just better produce.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:06 PM

This is good news. So it is just the original trade with 2 minor prospects. So, all this haggling today was bullshit.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM

It apparently was bullshit, Good Doctor. I have said all along that these cronies that do the reporting are not to be trusted. The team’s copy boys are used to disinform the media and the opposite team or teams.

To me, Dom Brown should immediately be demoted back to the minors and play winter ball to get more seasoned. We want him to prosper in the future. Do you agree?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:14 PM

I do agree. If you listen to Charlie’s comments before the game it left no question as to that being the route they will go. Furthermore, Jason Michaels might be coming back as well. That would seemingly mean the end of Ben Francisco.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM

I didn’t want them to give up Trevor May and Cosart in the deal with Singleton. I thought that was too much. But Cosart, Singleton and minor prospects is fine. It solves the outfield situation for next year as well.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Jason Michaels? The one and only that hit a Philly cop? OK????

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Pence was just pulled. Michaels came in for him so maybe that is not accurate.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Pence said to be emotional in the dugout.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM

Doctor,

Tune into 610WIP. You will hear me after the Jim Duquette interview by Seth E. interview.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:33 PM

We got a solid defensive outfielder and a good hitter in exchange for a few minor league prospects.

Gotta love it!

9. bigtrav425 - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:09 PM

if the phillies get Pence its more or less game set match for the NL pennant

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Pence is a career .176 hitter vs Lincecum and Cain, so he’ll fit right in.

• xmatt0926x - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Do the Giants have mashers that nobody has seen yet? I would imagine that not too many hitters have good #’s off Lincecum and Cain, nor do they have good #’s off Halladay, Lee, or Hamels. Lets not forget the Braves starters either. Bottom line, no matter how much all the fanboys of each team try to act like their team is far and away the best, when october comes it will be all nail biting games with 2-1 or 3-2 finishes that can go either way each night. All 3 teams have 3 great starters and lousy offenses, incluiding Beltran and Pence. Beltran did not turn San Frans offense into a juggernaut. They still stink on offense. If anything I’d say that the Braves might end up with the best offense of the three top NL teams and I’m a Phillies fan. I really don’t see any of the 3 teams I mentioned being head and shoulders better than the other 2.

10. derpdederpdederp - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:18 PM

if the Phillies are gonna improve their offense I wonder how long it will take Theo to improve the Red Sox pitching and pull the trigger on a Jimenez deal

11. andyreidisfat - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I guess its a good deal. Pence is better than what the have by miles. And should put up even better power numbers in our ball park. So the Phillies get the best hitter in baseball avalible at the deadline and the Eagles steal Nnamdi from the “cowgirls” and highly overrated jets.

This seems to all leading back to my pre baseball season prediction of Phillies Sox in the series and Eagles Pats in the bowl. So Boston won round 1 in the hockey playoffs lets see who wins round 2 =-) good luck new englanders =-)

12. macjacmccoy - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM

RAJ still number 1 GM in the city. Roseman moved up a spot, Holmgren dropped to the basement after his ridicolous drunken offseason and the 76ers GM whoever he is is 3rd by default bc of Homer lunacy .

13. seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Pence is a good players. You say he’s a great player. To me, I don’t know how great he is. I think as he moves on into his careers, there’s the longevity part and things like that. I think that’s when the greatness might come by. This is a consistent game. When you say somebody is great …

14. pkswally024 - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:34 PM

Halladaysbiceps, I rarely see eye to eye with you. Tonight I do. Brown for more seasoning.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:36 PM

Exactly! What a trade! Brown can still develop. They did this trade with their farm system.

15. phillyphan975 - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:49 PM

The bottom line is, there is not much in Houston, he will be support (just like Werth was), see better pitches and be a better player here in Philly… All I can say is the past 5 hours have been better than Christmas here in Philly… What a day!

16. phillyphan975 - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:52 PM

Will Dom Brown give Pence his #9? (Is that Pence’s “true” number?)

17. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 29, 2011 at 9:58 PM

As a Philadelphian, I gotta say that tonight has been one of the better sports night’s that I can remember. Winning the Series in 08′ was spectacular, and getting Cliff Lee back was great, but I’m sleeping with a big smile on my face tonight.

• phillyphan975 - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

I could not agree more… It is almost unbelievable right? Now, lets wake up in the AM, have Plax, trade Samuel to free up Jackson’s money and get good compensation for the Samuel trade and this will truely be the best day! I know I am a very optomistic rumor thinker…

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:07 PM

It should also be noted that like Cliff Lee, Namadi likely turned down more money because he wanted to be in Philadelphia.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Did Lee take less money per year, or less years? Kind of a big difference.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Less total money…more per year. Third prospect is AA pitcher Josh Zeid. A 4th will be named later. But if they are of the quality of Zeid, then the Astros got fleeced.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:24 PM

Right, but he’s making more per year and stands a better chance of getting another contract after this one so he really didn’t leave all this money on the table to come to Philly.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I understand…he is banking on getting another contract in 4 more years. But the fact remains that he left guaranteed money on the table.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM

He’s taking a calculated risk in the hopes of making a lot more money than if he had accepted that 1 extra year, so it’s not like he took less money just to go to Philly though. Wish people would stop saying that.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:31 PM

I understand the concept of a calculated risk. It could work out for him…or he could tank in the last couple years of the contract and get hurt. You can not dispute the notion that he took less guaranteed money to come to Philadelphia. He did.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Yes he took less guaranteed money but did he do it to potentially make more money overall or to play in Philly? Call me cynical but I think it’s the former more than the latter.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:38 PM

Probably some combination of the two.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:00 PM

I don’t care that he went to Philly, I’m just tired of hearing about all the money he left on the table to come to Philly and make them a better team. If that was his goal why did he ask for more money per year than he’d have gotten in Texas or NY? He took a calculated risk in an attempt to make even more money. What’s wrong with being honest about that?

18. myvickinabox14 - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:16 PM

I dont know what to sport around the San Diego area this weekend. Phillies or Eagles. I think I’ll go Eagles cause I have been rubbing the Phillies in there face for well over a year now. What a great day for Philly sports.

19. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Cash also coming back to the Phillies to keep them under the luxury tax. Ricky Botalico is calling Ed Wade Santa Clause and saying that he thinks Ed is doing a great job.

20. joshftw - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:28 PM

So they’re giving up four prospects for more offense…that they don’t really need….to get a guy to replace their own top prospect/right fielder of the future?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Brown slides to left field next season as a replacement for Ibanez. 2 of the prospects they are giving up are marginal. I mean seriously marginal. Singleton is the best hitting prospect in the system but will be blocked by Howard and some say Cosart is the best pitching prospect in the system I say Trevor May is.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:47 PM

This might actually be one of those rare win/win trades. The Phils obtain a solid hit/solid field OF that is useful immediately without giving up the immediate future, while the stros pick up a 19 year old kid in Singleton that just might be the answer around the time they get back into competitive form.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I think you are right about Singleton. He has all the makings of a serious player. I think it worked out. Phillies didn’t have to completely deplete the farm and they got their guy.

21. paperlions - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM

Pence is a solid offensive and defensive player, great arm. Philly paid a steep price, but they are built to win now….and with the ages of most of their aces and key offensive players…they really need to go for it in the next two years and worry about the future later.

22. dbick - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Phillies overpaid for sure, but I’d like to thank Ed Wade for taking a terrible AA reliever with a 5+ ERA when he could’ve had Dom Brown. Appreciated.

But my fellow phils fans are killing me with this send Dom to the minors shit. All he does in the minors is dominate, he has nothing left to learn down there. Besides he’s just as good as Ibanez, and realistically is probably already better than him. Ibanez should be benched for Brown (at the very least they should platoon) and the only thing that will keep it from happening is Charlies blind loyalty to veterans.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Brown has played right field a majority of his career and is terrible at it. Blindly sticking him in left field would be a recipe for disaster. He can go to AAA and work on his defensive play and base running. I firmly believe the hitting will come around at the Major League level, but he has to seriously work on those other aspects.

• dbick - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Yeah because Ibanez is a good outfielder? He’s a worse fielder and baserunner than brown! If you really think that Ibanez is a better baseball player at this point in his career than dominic brown you’re watching a different Ibanez.

23. xmatt0926x - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Seeingwhatsticks, you really need to relax. There won’t be a Phillies post on this site where you aren’t there needling every point a phillies fan makes, but your take on Cliff Lee signing here is just way overboard. He liked it here. why does that bother you so much? He had a deal on the table and called the Phillies and asked if they could possibly sign him before he signed with anyone else. This is all public record. Again, why does that bother you so much? It’s not a person attack on the Giants because a player wanted to come to the Phillies. Relax man. Baseball times are good in Philly and San Fran. Life is too short.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 10:57 PM

Agreed. I don’t know why people think it is ridiculous that somebody wanted to come to Philadelphia. Beyond the team, Philadelphia (particularly south of City Hall) is a beautiful city with a lot of history and cultural opportunities.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:08 PM

Reposted from above:

I don’t care that he went to Philly. Given his options I don’t doubt he liked Philly best, I’m just tired of hearing about all the money he left on the table to come to Philly and make them a better team. If that was his goal why did he ask for more money per year than he’d have gotten in Texas or NY? He took a calculated risk in an attempt to make even more money. What’s wrong with being honest about that? Why does he have to be Saint Cliff instead of Cliff Lee, professional athlete?

Adding:

Up until the last week I hadn’t commented on HBT in at least a month so I don’t know where you’re getting your information from.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:11 PM

Whatever man. You have your opinion, I have mine. There is absolutely no point in bickering about it.

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Why do you need to believe Cliff Lee left tons of money on the table just to come to Philly because he loved it so much? Would it make you like him or the Phillies less if it wasn’t true?

• sasquash20 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:19 PM

The scum bags in NY spit on his wife and talked all kind of smack. She has class NY doesn’t, that is why he came to beautiful classy Philadelphia. Oh and he happens to love it here. SO EAT IT LOSER!!!

• seeingwhatsticks - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:25 PM

Yeah, how dare someone splash the legend of Cliff Lee with cold water. What a horrible person.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Man, why are you still pushing this issue? I said I was done with the petty bickering and you continue on. Seriously man, take it easy. Arguing about the merits of Cliff Lee is just dumb.

24. sasquash20 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I expect Howard to have a monster August and September. With a right handed bat protecting him in the line up he should carry us right into DOCTOBER! GO PHILLIES!

25. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:16 PM

Hunter Pence would upgrade 3/4 of MLB team outfields.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto