Jul 29, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the Tigers have strong interest in Ubaldo Jimenez and that they’re willing to give up their most prized minor leaguer to get him.
That minor leaguer would be 20-year-old Jacob Turner, who has gone 3-5 with a 3.48 ERA and a 90/32 K/BB ratio in 113 2/3 innings for Double-A Erie this season. He’s one of baseball’s top 10 pitching prospects, and the Rockies were certain to require him as part of a Jimenez deal.
Of course, it sounds like the Rockies are holding out for at least two and preferably three top prospects in return for their ace. The Tigers are pretty shallow when it comes to prospects, though they do have a very promising third baseman in Nick Castellanos to potentially pair with Turner.
As mentioned earlier, the Red Sox and Indians are also in pursuit of Jimenez.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 34
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)