Jul 29, 2011, 8:04 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says the Tigers have strong interest in Ubaldo Jimenez and that they’re willing to give up their most prized minor leaguer to get him.
That minor leaguer would be 20-year-old Jacob Turner, who has gone 3-5 with a 3.48 ERA and a 90/32 K/BB ratio in 113 2/3 innings for Double-A Erie this season. He’s one of baseball’s top 10 pitching prospects, and the Rockies were certain to require him as part of a Jimenez deal.
Of course, it sounds like the Rockies are holding out for at least two and preferably three top prospects in return for their ace. The Tigers are pretty shallow when it comes to prospects, though they do have a very promising third baseman in Nick Castellanos to potentially pair with Turner.
As mentioned earlier, the Red Sox and Indians are also in pursuit of Jimenez.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)