Jul 29, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
We learned last night that Aramis Ramirez may be willing to waive his no-trade clause. If so, the Cubs may have a trading partner for him, as Bob Nightengale tweets that the Angels are “quite interested” in him.
It would be a great fit if they could swing it. The Angels really need some pop and Ramirez has been blistering the ball lately, batting .297 with 17 homers since the beginning of June. He’s owed a lot of money for the remainder of this season, but his 2012 obligations are a club option that won’t be exercised, costing the Angels or whoever he’s playing for when the season ends $2 million in a buyout.
Hard to think of a player who could use a change of scenery more than Ramirez. Hard to think of a team who could use him more than the Angels.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)