The five greatest trade deadlines in baseball history

Jul 29, 2011, 2:30 PM EST

Randy Johnson Astros

Yesterday in the Twitter questions I mentioned that I had banned two of the three authors of The Platoon Advantage — Bill and The Common Man; Mark remained in my good graces — because they insisted on taunting me about the Hrbek/Gant play from the 1991 World Series and insisting that Aquaman was a legitimate super hero and not a pitiful sideshow freak.

Today I have had a change of heart.  Partially because forgiveness is a good thing. But also because I have here in my hand a certified letter from both of them in which they swear under oath that Kent Hrbek should have been ejected from that game and that Aquaman sucks.  It was so nice that they finally saw the light.  I’ll post the letter when I get around to it, but my scanner is broken at the moment and, you know, stuff.

Anyway, with the ban lifted, I link you to The Common Man’s most excellent post about the five greatest trade deadlines of all time.

After reading you’ll realize that Hunter Pence could be traded to the Tehran Mullah Sox for a bag of black market uranium, and 2011 still wouldn’t compare.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM

“…and that Aquaman sucks.”

This got me to thinking, who would win in a fight? Aquaman or Seaman from South Park?

From a Phillies perspective, at the trade deadline, if would be Cliff Lee. Without him, I don’t think we make it to the World Series in 09′.

• hittfamily - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

On this blog, it would definately be Token’s superhero character, because he has the power of perfect spelling.

• Tim OShenko - Jul 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Speaking of which, you may want to look up the spelling for “definately” sometime.

2. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Funny think about that Hrbek/Gant “play” in ’91, there are tons of people up here in Twinkie land that insist it was a fair play, including my father-in-law. And then I argue that the umps in the ’85 series were the best ever! Team bias is awesome!

3. bpilgrim11 - Jul 29, 2011 at 2:48 PM

Except for the fact that the Common Man completely mangles the 2003 deadline. The Mets traded Alomar and Burnitz, not received. So the Mets were not “hilariously” adding pieces despite being awful.

• The Common Man - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, pilgrim. As I said on my blog, in response to your comment, somehow I got those deals transposed in my head. It has been corrected to reflect both my idiocy and the correct information.

• The Common Man - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM

After all, I wouldn’t want to suggest for a moment that 2003 Mets GM Steve Phillips was capable of questionable judgment.

4. vikesfansteve - Jul 29, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Hrbek fell backwards too. Judgement call. Just like 5 inches outside the plate balls called strikes for years because Maddux & Glavine consistently hit the spot. See 95 World Series vs Indians. I have to agree that Hrbek did yank Gant off the bag. Both teams got out of bases loaded no outs jams. Morris pitching 10 shut out innings. Great game.

5. bigleagues - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:02 AM

I couldn’t find video of the play (probably on MLB.com behind paywall) – BUT I did find this animated Lego-based reenactment of the Gant/Hrbek play from two perspectives – how the Braves fan remembers the play and how the Twins fan remembers it. Skip right to 00:36 to get the reenactment.

Clearly, Craig see’s it the first way . . . and, of course, the first way is the ‘brave’ way to view it!

[gv]http://youtu.be/dsCp2SN8T6o?t=36s[/gv]

• bigleagues - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5812)
  2. M. Kemp (3249)
  3. J. Kang (3202)
  4. C. McGehee (3083)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3052)
  1. J. Upton (2988)