Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Ah, the deadline. When teams get all determined to move heaven and Earth to obtain … OK bats. To that end, Rosenthal tweets that the Indians are “making a strong push” for Ryan Ludwick. This the day after they landed Kosuke Fukudome.
As we said yesterday when that trade went down, the Indians are in an eminently winnable division, so it may not take much to keep them in it. With Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore out, the outfield is in desperate need of some pop, and Ludwick could help provide a little. Again, no game-changer, but a bit better than their current options.
If they were to get Ludwick — and if Choo and Sizemore’s rehab go as planned — they could have a fairly crowded outfield towards the end of the season. There are worse problems to have, however.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)