Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
Ah, the deadline. When teams get all determined to move heaven and Earth to obtain … OK bats. To that end, Rosenthal tweets that the Indians are “making a strong push” for Ryan Ludwick. This the day after they landed Kosuke Fukudome.
As we said yesterday when that trade went down, the Indians are in an eminently winnable division, so it may not take much to keep them in it. With Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore out, the outfield is in desperate need of some pop, and Ludwick could help provide a little. Again, no game-changer, but a bit better than their current options.
If they were to get Ludwick — and if Choo and Sizemore’s rehab go as planned — they could have a fairly crowded outfield towards the end of the season. There are worse problems to have, however.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (167)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)