Jul 29, 2011, 8:50 AM EST
Ah, the deadline. When teams get all determined to move heaven and Earth to obtain … OK bats. To that end, Rosenthal tweets that the Indians are “making a strong push” for Ryan Ludwick. This the day after they landed Kosuke Fukudome.
As we said yesterday when that trade went down, the Indians are in an eminently winnable division, so it may not take much to keep them in it. With Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore out, the outfield is in desperate need of some pop, and Ludwick could help provide a little. Again, no game-changer, but a bit better than their current options.
If they were to get Ludwick — and if Choo and Sizemore’s rehab go as planned — they could have a fairly crowded outfield towards the end of the season. There are worse problems to have, however.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 10
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (161)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)