The Nats and Twins are still talking about a Denard Span-Drew Storen trade

Jul 29, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Denard Span Getty Images

Last year the Nationals snookered the Twins into giving up a stud catching prospect for the most replaceable of all commodities, the Proven Closer.  But Matt-Capps for Wilson Ramos was one of those once-in-a-lifetime brain farts, right?  Surely Bill Smith and the Twins aren’t going to do something like that again, right?

Maybe!  While it was reported yesterday that the Nationals — the Nationals! — were unwilling to trade their closer, Drew Storen, for center fielder Denard Span, Ken Rosenthal reports that talks are still ongoing along those lines.  It may be sweeter than a straight swap, however, as Rosenthal says that Roger Bernadina, the career .243/.308/.360 hitter, may be included.

I’ll grant that Storen is better than Capps and that, because he’s injured right now, Span is not at a career high point.  But really, if the Nationals are able, for the second straight year, to trade a closer to the Twins for a solid player at a scarce defensive position, the Twins may as well just be disbanded by force or placed in protective custody so that they can do more harm to themselves or others.

1. aburns77 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:20 AM

This would be a coup for the Nats if they can pull this off, Storen is a solid young closer, but if you can get a guy like Span who plays a premium defensive position, gets on base and is an efficient base stealer you have to do it.

2. kopy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Why? Why don’t the Twins want their fans to be happy? Span played well in AAA the last couple days during his rehab starts, so I don’t think this is a Morneau-type recovery… just a terrible trade idea.

3. trevorb06 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:35 AM

If this happens Bill Smith needs to be run out of town. Basically the only way this would make Minnesotans happy is if Smith found a way to get that worthless guy in AA who can’t seem to hit there. What’s his name, umm, Harper or something like that? Can’t even bat .270 there, worthless…
    #sarcasm

• krisk79 - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM

The removal of Bill Smith is the only upside I can see to this trade, from a Twins fan’s point of view.

• natstowngreg - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:07 PM

Guess those who declared Bryce Harper a bust before he was drafted were right, huh?

4. ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Seriously Terry Ryan handing the reigns over to Bill Smith was the worst thing ever for this franchise. He simply is unable to not get absolutly hosed in a deal. This is how I imagine the talks go down.

Rizzo: Gee Bill, I dunno. Wilson Ramo’s is just a prospect. Not nearly major league ready… I’m not sure if I can give up my PROVEN CLOSER for just a prospect. I mean he is PROVEN, he has closed for two teams… Even got 25 saves once.

Bill Smith: Hmm, I guess your right. What if I throw in Testa.

Rizzo: Alright Bill, you twisted my arm. I guess i’ll do it. But you owe me one later on(Evil Cackling)….

(SCENE)
    Andy MacPhail(while snicker): I have an idea Bill! I will give you, not just one, but TWO Minor league relief pitchers for a starting shortstop and a utility infielder.

Billy Boy: SOLD!!!!!

5. bigleagues - Jul 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I haven’t believed this will happen. And I still don’t believe this will happen.

6. rynev - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Was this article too painful for Gleeman to write? Or did his version have too many expletives to print on Hardball Talk?

7. hansob - Jul 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Imagine if Washburn had taken the team’s $5M offer in 2010. Not sure the Twins would have even won the division if that meant we didn’t have the money to get Hudson and Thome. Bill Smith and the rest of the “attitude over ability” front office needs to go.

8. ThatGuy - Jul 29, 2011 at 3:58 PM

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!….. err I mean SMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Three legends off to Cooperstown