Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
This fits with Detroit’s overall desire to land a starter. A desire that has yet to come close to being met if you believe the rumors. Beyond some Jeremy Guthrie buzz, not much has happened in that regard.
Marquis is having your basic Jason Marquis year: he’s 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA, for an ERA+ of 97 which is his career average as well. He’s striking out a slightly greater number of hitters than usual, but nothing to alert the media about. He’d provide durability and some degree of stability to the Tigers’ rotation, but it’s not like he’d be the kind of guy who could carry the team on his back. He shouldn’t be terribly expensive to land. He could also be the sort of guy who might clear waivers and thus could be acquired in August.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (96)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)