Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
This fits with Detroit’s overall desire to land a starter. A desire that has yet to come close to being met if you believe the rumors. Beyond some Jeremy Guthrie buzz, not much has happened in that regard.
Marquis is having your basic Jason Marquis year: he’s 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA, for an ERA+ of 97 which is his career average as well. He’s striking out a slightly greater number of hitters than usual, but nothing to alert the media about. He’d provide durability and some degree of stability to the Tigers’ rotation, but it’s not like he’d be the kind of guy who could carry the team on his back. He shouldn’t be terribly expensive to land. He could also be the sort of guy who might clear waivers and thus could be acquired in August.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)