Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
This fits with Detroit’s overall desire to land a starter. A desire that has yet to come close to being met if you believe the rumors. Beyond some Jeremy Guthrie buzz, not much has happened in that regard.
Marquis is having your basic Jason Marquis year: he’s 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA, for an ERA+ of 97 which is his career average as well. He’s striking out a slightly greater number of hitters than usual, but nothing to alert the media about. He’d provide durability and some degree of stability to the Tigers’ rotation, but it’s not like he’d be the kind of guy who could carry the team on his back. He shouldn’t be terribly expensive to land. He could also be the sort of guy who might clear waivers and thus could be acquired in August.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 24
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 41
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)