Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
This fits with Detroit’s overall desire to land a starter. A desire that has yet to come close to being met if you believe the rumors. Beyond some Jeremy Guthrie buzz, not much has happened in that regard.
Marquis is having your basic Jason Marquis year: he’s 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA, for an ERA+ of 97 which is his career average as well. He’s striking out a slightly greater number of hitters than usual, but nothing to alert the media about. He’d provide durability and some degree of stability to the Tigers’ rotation, but it’s not like he’d be the kind of guy who could carry the team on his back. He shouldn’t be terribly expensive to land. He could also be the sort of guy who might clear waivers and thus could be acquired in August.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 1
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 24
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 43
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 18
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)