Jul 29, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
This fits with Detroit’s overall desire to land a starter. A desire that has yet to come close to being met if you believe the rumors. Beyond some Jeremy Guthrie buzz, not much has happened in that regard.
Marquis is having your basic Jason Marquis year: he’s 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA, for an ERA+ of 97 which is his career average as well. He’s striking out a slightly greater number of hitters than usual, but nothing to alert the media about. He’d provide durability and some degree of stability to the Tigers’ rotation, but it’s not like he’d be the kind of guy who could carry the team on his back. He shouldn’t be terribly expensive to land. He could also be the sort of guy who might clear waivers and thus could be acquired in August.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)