Jul 29, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
According to ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden, the Tigers have dropped out of the running for Dodgers starter Hiroki Kuroda, while FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that they’re now talking to the Mariners about Doug Fister and a reliever.
Morosi spent several years covering the Tigers for the Detroit Free Press, so his sources with the club are very good.
Fister has a 3-12 record this year, but it comes with a 3.33 ERA and an 89/32 K/BB ratio in 146 innings. He’s taken advantage of pitching in Safeco Field and gotten help from a strong defense, so it’s doubtful he’d be quite as good in Detroit. However, he’s an obvious upgrade over the team’s current fifth-starter options.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (148)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)