Jul 29, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
According to ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden, the Tigers have dropped out of the running for Dodgers starter Hiroki Kuroda, while FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that they’re now talking to the Mariners about Doug Fister and a reliever.
Morosi spent several years covering the Tigers for the Detroit Free Press, so his sources with the club are very good.
Fister has a 3-12 record this year, but it comes with a 3.33 ERA and an 89/32 K/BB ratio in 146 innings. He’s taken advantage of pitching in Safeco Field and gotten help from a strong defense, so it’s doubtful he’d be quite as good in Detroit. However, he’s an obvious upgrade over the team’s current fifth-starter options.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (122)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)