Jul 29, 2011, 4:09 PM EDT
According to ESPN.com’s Jim Bowden, the Tigers have dropped out of the running for Dodgers starter Hiroki Kuroda, while FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that they’re now talking to the Mariners about Doug Fister and a reliever.
Morosi spent several years covering the Tigers for the Detroit Free Press, so his sources with the club are very good.
Fister has a 3-12 record this year, but it comes with a 3.33 ERA and an 89/32 K/BB ratio in 146 innings. He’s taken advantage of pitching in Safeco Field and gotten help from a strong defense, so it’s doubtful he’d be quite as good in Detroit. However, he’s an obvious upgrade over the team’s current fifth-starter options.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)