Jul 29, 2011, 4:40 PM EST
Rafael Soriano is back from the disabled list after being sidelined since mid-May with an elbow injury.
Joe Girardi once indicated that he’d turn right back to Soriano as the Yankees’ primary eighth-inning guy when healthy, but he seems to have softened on that stance somewhat recently and it’s hard to imagine David Robertson losing the main setup gig given how dominant he’s been in front of Mariano Rivera.
Robertson has a 1.41 ERA overall this season, including allowing just four earned runs in 28 appearances since Soriano went down. Prior to the injury Soriano had a 5.40 ERA in 16 appearances, although he’d turned in five consecutive scoreless outings before the DL stint.
Various reports from Soriano’s rehab stint in the minors had him showing good velocity, but he allowed four runs in 4.1 innings between high Single-A and Triple-A, serving up a pair of homers. Soriano is making $10 million this season with another $25 million due over the next two years, but for a while at least he might just be the game’s highest-paid middle reliever.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)