Jul 29, 2011, 4:40 PM EDT
Rafael Soriano is back from the disabled list after being sidelined since mid-May with an elbow injury.
Joe Girardi once indicated that he’d turn right back to Soriano as the Yankees’ primary eighth-inning guy when healthy, but he seems to have softened on that stance somewhat recently and it’s hard to imagine David Robertson losing the main setup gig given how dominant he’s been in front of Mariano Rivera.
Robertson has a 1.41 ERA overall this season, including allowing just four earned runs in 28 appearances since Soriano went down. Prior to the injury Soriano had a 5.40 ERA in 16 appearances, although he’d turned in five consecutive scoreless outings before the DL stint.
Various reports from Soriano’s rehab stint in the minors had him showing good velocity, but he allowed four runs in 4.1 innings between high Single-A and Triple-A, serving up a pair of homers. Soriano is making $10 million this season with another $25 million due over the next two years, but for a while at least he might just be the game’s highest-paid middle reliever.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 146
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 51
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 55
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)