Source: Cardinals, Dodgers have deal in place for Rafael Furcal

Jul 30, 2011, 2:24 PM EDT

Rafael Furcal AP

Update: A source tells our own Craig Calcaterra that the Cardinals and Dodgers have agreed to the particulars in a Furcal deal and that Furcal is leaning toward waiving his no-trade protection to go to St. Louis.

///

The shortstop market is barren, but the Cardinals appear interested in taking a chance on the one big name out there; they’re discussing a deal with the Dodgers that could net them Rafael Furcal.

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Furcal is open to waiving his no-trade protection and moving on to St. Louis.  The Cardinals are giving usual shortstop Ryan Theriot his first start of the year at second base on Saturday, suggesting that they’re confident a deal is going to get done.

Furcal has had a brutal, injury-plagued season that’s left him with a .197/.272/.248 line in 137 at-bats.  He’s 5-for-8 stealing bases, and he’s scored just 15 runs in 37 games.

Still, there’s hope that Furcal will improve if he stays healthy.  And he has gone 8-for-22 over his last six games, raising his average 32 points.  He certainly has the most upside of any shortstop available.

1. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jul 30, 2011 at 1:21 PM

*facepalm*

2. spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 1:39 PM

Vs. What? Unless you are convinced that Daniel Descalso can instantly become an above average Big League shortstop, the Cards must add someone. Sure Furcal has his issues. But, if the Cards are convinced that he is healthy, a switch-hitting SS who is only 33, has a lifetime .349 OBP, can still pick it, has a gun, and can swipe a base if necessary, outdistances anyone I can think of. He has a club option for 2012, so the cost is meager. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and watching Theriot play SS, is a reason for desperation.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM

See, this has to be better the hypothetical deal of Rasmus for Ian Desmond and Clippard.

• spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:48 PM

No, if I had a magic wand, I would still prefer Desmond, Clippard, and Burnett to Rzenski, Jackson, Dotel, and Patterson. But hell the Nats are talking about a straight up deal with Clippard and Span, so maybe Rasmus wasn’t as highly considered as many think.

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2011 at 1:59 PM

The problem is that they appear to still want to play Theriot. He is a defensive liability anywhere, he has poor range and quasi-stone hands…and his bat is horrible….I’d rather see Descalso or even Skip playing 2B than Theriot.

The problem with Furcal is that his health has been a problem about 1/2 the time during his career. If he’s healthy, great…..but this team already has a bunch of guys shuttling back and forth to the DL, not sure another regular visitor to the DL is what you want…..if they give up any prospects for him….it’ll be a bad move because Furcal isn’t a difference maker (IMO) at this stage of his career (33 is not young or youngish….for a SS, it is oldish to old).

I have always feared that near the end of LaRussa’s time, they would sack the entire system for a bunch of scraptastic veterany goodness in a failed attempt to not be mediocre…and then he’d leave them with an old and bad ML roster and no immediate contributors in the minors….that is one reason I was hoping for his departure after last year.

LaRussa knows a lot about baseball, but doesn’t seem to understand much of it….the fact that he said Patterson (he of the .292 lifetime OBP) has the skills to be a leadoff hitter suggests that he’s an idiot, he’s delusional, or he thinks everyone else is an idiot and will believe that crap.

I’m tired of sacrifice bunts in the first inning or with no outs and a man on second or any time that isn’t a tied game in the late innings.

I’m tired of the 12-14 man pitching staffs.

I’m tired of LaRussa sticking with struggles vets that are mediocre talents, but jerking around young players instead of just plugging them in and letting them get comfortable to see what they might be able to do (Seriously, Tyler Greene kills AAA and plays great D down there, would it be so bad to just start him for a month to see what he can do? or to play Colby full time last year when he led all ML CF in OPS?)

I’m tired of double switches that compromise both offense and defense with the same move.

I’m tired of guys with below average OBP and no power leading off and getting more ABs than anyone else on the team.

I’m tired of LOOGYS for the sake of LOOGYS. If a pitcher isn’t any good, it doesn’t matter which arm throws with.

I’m tired of the over-managing of the roster, the lineup, and the in-game changes.

I’m tired of Pujols and Molina walking to 1B while team casually turn double plays (everyone else is expected to run, why aren’t these guys?).

I’m tired of the bench being empty in the 9th inning or early in extras due to unnecessary double-switches, leading to pitchers pinch-hitting or pinch-running and relievers hitting for themselves.

I’m tired of pretty much all things LaRussa, he sucks the fun out of rooting for a team.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM

Ya, I know – you’re pretty specific in every Cardinal thread on what you blame TLR for.

If his approach “sucks the fun out of rooting for a team” then just stop rooting – change the channel if you don’t like the show.

The amount of energy spent on here turning Cardinal topics into an anti LaRussa
        manifesto could surely be used in a more positive fashion.

Hell, why not direct some of the diatribes towards Mo, Luhnow and Dewitt?

Mix it up a little for crissakes..

• jimbrashear - Jul 30, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Okay Mr. Paperlions here’s a rebuttal to your post.

You said: “The problem is that they appear to still want to play Theriot”

Response: Yes he’s a defensive liability but he’s got 95 hits this year so far. Look around: Pujols has 100. No I’m not saying Theriot is batting .350 but he’s hitting the ball with reasonable consistency. Why not play him? Is DD or Skip going to hit much better? No. Is Skip going to field much better? No. So what option do you have? That’s the whole point of this trade, and someone still has to play 2B.

You said: The problem with Furcal is that his health has been a problem about 1/2 the time during his career.

Response: As opposed to our Cardinals infielders? Look our infield has had people hurt every single game. Picking up Furcal lets us play some utility players like Theriot and Skip when needed.

You said: I have always feared that near the end of LaRussa’s time, they would sack the entire system for a bunch of scraptastic veterany goodness in a failed attempt to not be mediocre

Response: 1 game out of first place is not mediocre. You’re just a spoiled fan it sounds like. If you want to talk about mediocre I believe the Cubs discussion forum is available.

You said: I’m tired of old, mostly white, scrappy replacement level players littering the bench.

Response: WTF does the player being white have to do with anything? That was a ridiculous racist remark. And I love that you made it in a discussion forum where the topic is that they are trading for a LATINO to join our Dominican Republican first baseman and our SPANISH SPEAKING catcher. Get over your racist crap – the white point had nothing to do with ANYTHING.

You said: You’re tired of Pujols and Molina not running to first.
        Response: Are you aware that Pitchers and catchers are specifically told not to hustle out routine ground balls by MLB coaches? The effort it takes to pitch or squat in the catcher’s position is exhausting and it’s simply not worth the wearing out of our players. Are you also aware that many times superstar players like Albert are told not to risk twisting an ankle or blowing a hammy on a hot day for a routine play? You need to learn basics of coaching and baseball YOURSELF which is what you said about LaRussa needing to “understand” the game. If Ryan Theriot blows a hamstring nobody cares so he better run to first – but if Albert does we’re all going to say “crap”.

Lastly – after taking a team to the world series twice in a decade, winning one, and having the best team in BASEBALL outside perhaps the Yankees during the 2000s you need to cut LaRussa some slack and stfu.

• chris012 - Jul 30, 2011 at 10:02 PM

Ok I’d like to say I’m tired of dumb fans like you.
        Obviously Tony knows what he is doing and it works. We contend every year so don’t give me that bull. And what veteran is doing bad right now?? Franklin? We cut him. So shut up

What you described above is called small ball! Jesus, fans don’t understand anymore. Ever heard whitieball?

And are you really bringing up Rasmus? The guy who looked like he didnt give a rats butt when playing the outfield? The guy ho wouldn’t listen to coaches? I don’t want that kind if guy on my team. He was never going to reach full potential.

Bringing me to my next point, amazing trade. Got rid of two underperforming lefties along with Rasmus. If we can resign javelin it will be a great trade. The lefty we got is a stud and could become a starter who is 25 yrs old. Dotel has been pitching good as of late. And will help salad developed into a great closer, because he has the stuff. Onto the reason of this article.. Furcal, I’d love to have him. Players like when they have something to play for late in the season. He’s 33 not 38. Give me a break it’s not the NFL.

Give Tyler Greene a shot? He’s been tearin it up in te minors man!!! Well guess what, when he comes up, he plays like a bum. Why risk a month of letting him play when we are in a race for a postseasn spot?! If anything we should have kept brenden Ryan. He was good! Hitting coaches screwed him up after hitting .292 now why would you try to change something that is working? Well we did and he hits like butt the next year. And we get a guy that throws 100.. But straight. Ryan was prolly the 2nd best fielding shortstop behind, you guessed it, the captin Derek Jeter. That was a stupid trade.

And theriot was hitting .300 until a recent slump. Stick him at 2nd and let furcal do his thing at SS. He’s been hitting the ball a lot better this last week and getting back to himself.

And Patterson won’t hit lead off every game you idiot. He will be a backup to Jon jay. He is playing while berkman gets a few days off cuz of his shoulder. Jay will grow more with a veteran behind him. Believe it or not, veterans do help teams. And not just by winning.

I’m just saying I’m tired of people complaining about LaRussa. He’s a HOF manager for a reason.And going back to bunting and sacrificing, he does it in late innings to add run support because he trusts the players coming up to knock them in. Idk if you ever go to baseball games, but all the fans cheer when a player sacrifices because the true fans know the significance of possibly being up by 2 instead of 1 going into the 8th or 9th.

And dint complain about the pitching, cuz Duncan has just as much say as LaRussa does. And that’s a good thing. We have the best pitching coach on the league paired with LaRussa. I’m just sick of people mouthing off like they could do a better job. The manager’s decisions impacts the game so much, and I believe that’s why the cardinals always win more than losing.

If you don’t like it go root for the Astros or reds… Oh wait I wouldn’t wanna do that either.

• chris012 - Jul 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I meant Jackson not javelin haha. iPhone -__-

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM

As long as the cost is low, why the hell not take a flyer on the guy?

Now the countdown begins where the usual suspect hijacks the thread blaming all the worlds problems on TLR and lamenting the loss of the likes of Brendan Ryan…

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Looks like I was a post too late….

The predictability continues…

• paperlions - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

If the cost is low, I have no problem acquiring Furcal….but that cost shouldn’t be anything more than the Cardinals picking up his salary (pro-rated portion of $13MM).

I don’t blame all of the worlds problems on LaRussa. I love that he does rescue work for animals….I was pretty specific about the things I do blame on LaRussa.

• ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I’m mostly just facepalming the whole situation the Cardinals have gotten themselves into.

• spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM

To be perfectly honest, I am happy as a clam. First off, we are 1.5 games out of first with 2 months to go in the season. Even the most optimistic Cards fan would have to admit this position was doubtful in April. The loss of Wainwright seemed insurmountable to so many. Then the myriad of injuries. Pujols’ early season’s struggles. Disappointing seasons from Rasmus and Theriot and still we are positioned to be play-off bound. The Red Birds match up 12 more times with the Brewers, who will miss Weeks. All in all the surprises, to all but the Cardinal Management, of Berkman, Punto, Descalso, Sanchez, Salas, Cruz, Lynn, Laird, and McClellan have elevated us to Division contenders. If Rzenski(sic), Jackson, Furcal, et al have similar success we just might be playing in October.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Just a question from an outsider to the Cardinals. If they are so hard-up or a SS why didn’t they trade Rasmus for one? Granted you can never have enough pitching but it seems to me that somebody could have sent them a SS in part of a deal for Rasmus.

• spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Been asking the same question, but if they acquire Furcal for little, then I guess they have filled all the holes. But still it would be sweet if they could add Bell.

• okwhitefalcon - Jul 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I would think shortstops had to have been discussed with clubs along the way although the need to add a starter and remake the bullpen were probably first priority.

4. natstowngreg - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Craig, scoopin’ the Olneys, Rosenthals and Morosis of the world. Outstanding.

Now, if we just had the particulars.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3245)