Jul 30, 2011, 3:58 PM EDT
He matched Cliff Lee for the major league lead with four shutouts this season, and he has as many shutouts in two months as possible Hall of Famer Andy Pettitte did in 16 seasons.
Even with all of his recent success, Holland has a 4.14 ERA for the season. He’s allowed five earned runs or more in seven of his 22 starts.
Still, today’s performance should make him pretty close to untouchable in trade discussions (supposedly, the Padres have asked for him in the Heath Bell talks). Holland is just 24, and he has the stuff to shut down any offense when he’s on. His inconsistency is a concern, but he’s someone the Rangers are likely to need if they’re going to make another deep run into the postseason.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)