Jul 30, 2011, 9:33 AM EDT
We learned earlier this week that the Red Sox and Yankees were expected to have scouts in attendance for Erik Bedard‘s first start back from the disabled list last night against the Rays. Well, let’s just say he didn’t help his trade value at all.
Bedard, who missed a month with a sprained left knee, was smoked for five runs over just 1 1/3 innings as part of an 8-0 loss. The southpaw threw just 28 out of 57 pitches for strikes while walking four and striking out two. He hadn’t allowed more than three runs in 12 consecutive outings prior to going on the disabled list, so we can probably chalk this up to rust. Still, pretty bad timing.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Mariners appeared to be waiting until after Friday’s start to advance talks with interested teams. While Friday’s results could very well hurt their negotiating position, it doesn’t necessarily mean that teams will drop out of the bidding. For what it’s worth, ESPN’s Jim Bowden reported early this morning that the Red Sox are still discussing a deal with Dodgers for Hiroki Kuroda, so they are busy evaluating the alternatives.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Boston’s interest in Hiroki Kuroda increased following Bedard’s shaky start last night.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 18
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 47
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)