Jul 30, 2011, 9:33 AM EST
We learned earlier this week that the Red Sox and Yankees were expected to have scouts in attendance for Erik Bedard‘s first start back from the disabled list last night against the Rays. Well, let’s just say he didn’t help his trade value at all.
Bedard, who missed a month with a sprained left knee, was smoked for five runs over just 1 1/3 innings as part of an 8-0 loss. The southpaw threw just 28 out of 57 pitches for strikes while walking four and striking out two. He hadn’t allowed more than three runs in 12 consecutive outings prior to going on the disabled list, so we can probably chalk this up to rust. Still, pretty bad timing.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Mariners appeared to be waiting until after Friday’s start to advance talks with interested teams. While Friday’s results could very well hurt their negotiating position, it doesn’t necessarily mean that teams will drop out of the bidding. For what it’s worth, ESPN’s Jim Bowden reported early this morning that the Red Sox are still discussing a deal with Dodgers for Hiroki Kuroda, so they are busy evaluating the alternatives.
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that Boston’s interest in Hiroki Kuroda increased following Bedard’s shaky start last night.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (118)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)