Jul 30, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
The Astros might as well continue remaking the team after trading Hunter Pence to Philadelphia, so Michael Bourn could be the next to go. ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick claims the “Astros’ efforts to move Bourn are picking up steam,” while FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports the Braves are getting “more involved.”
Bourn is hitting .304/.364/.405 this season, and he leads the majors with 39 steals in 46 attempts. The Reds are also thought to be very interested in him as they look for a true leadoff hitter.
Bourn probably won’t bring as much in return as Pence, in part because he’s only under control for one more year. He makes $4.4 million this season, and he’s probably looking at a raise to $7 million or so in his final year of arbitration next season.
It was reported earlier Saturday that the Braves were willing to give up left-hander Mike Minor in a Pence deal with the Astros. If they’re willing to surrender him for Bourn instead, they’d be the heavy favorites here. The Braves, though, could likely get Coco Crisp instead without surrendering a top prospect. They’re also in the mix for B.J. Upton.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 33
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)