Jul 30, 2011, 4:08 PM EST
The Astros might as well continue remaking the team after trading Hunter Pence to Philadelphia, so Michael Bourn could be the next to go. ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick claims the “Astros’ efforts to move Bourn are picking up steam,” while FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports the Braves are getting “more involved.”
Bourn is hitting .304/.364/.405 this season, and he leads the majors with 39 steals in 46 attempts. The Reds are also thought to be very interested in him as they look for a true leadoff hitter.
Bourn probably won’t bring as much in return as Pence, in part because he’s only under control for one more year. He makes $4.4 million this season, and he’s probably looking at a raise to $7 million or so in his final year of arbitration next season.
It was reported earlier Saturday that the Braves were willing to give up left-hander Mike Minor in a Pence deal with the Astros. If they’re willing to surrender him for Bourn instead, they’d be the heavy favorites here. The Braves, though, could likely get Coco Crisp instead without surrendering a top prospect. They’re also in the mix for B.J. Upton.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)