Jul 30, 2011, 4:08 PM EDT
The Astros might as well continue remaking the team after trading Hunter Pence to Philadelphia, so Michael Bourn could be the next to go. ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick claims the “Astros’ efforts to move Bourn are picking up steam,” while FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports the Braves are getting “more involved.”
Bourn is hitting .304/.364/.405 this season, and he leads the majors with 39 steals in 46 attempts. The Reds are also thought to be very interested in him as they look for a true leadoff hitter.
Bourn probably won’t bring as much in return as Pence, in part because he’s only under control for one more year. He makes $4.4 million this season, and he’s probably looking at a raise to $7 million or so in his final year of arbitration next season.
It was reported earlier Saturday that the Braves were willing to give up left-hander Mike Minor in a Pence deal with the Astros. If they’re willing to surrender him for Bourn instead, they’d be the heavy favorites here. The Braves, though, could likely get Coco Crisp instead without surrendering a top prospect. They’re also in the mix for B.J. Upton.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)