Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If you have been tracking the trade deadline madness on Twitter today, you may have noticed a few rumors about Matt Thornton over the past couple of hours. Here’s a quick and handy recap.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post gets the sense that the White Sox have “really fallen out of love” with the veteran left-hander and would love to move the $12 million he is owed between 2012-2013. Always on the lookout to spend money on left-handed relievers, Sherman notes that the Yankees are among the teams watching him.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Rangers are also pursuing Thornton, but that the White Sox want young left-hander Derek Holland in return. The Rangers would be nuts to do that, of course, so Rosenthal hears that they would only move Holland if the deal was expanded to include a starter like John Danks.
And finally, Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting that the Red Sox are “pushing hard” for Thornton and outfielder Carlos Quentin. However, the feeling is that they would have to be “overwhelmed” to part with the pair in the same deal.
Thornton, 34, has a 3.28 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings this season. He has a 1.65 ERA since the start of May.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 28
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 6
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 21
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)