Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
If you have been tracking the trade deadline madness on Twitter today, you may have noticed a few rumors about Matt Thornton over the past couple of hours. Here’s a quick and handy recap.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post gets the sense that the White Sox have “really fallen out of love” with the veteran left-hander and would love to move the $12 million he is owed between 2012-2013. Always on the lookout to spend money on left-handed relievers, Sherman notes that the Yankees are among the teams watching him.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Rangers are also pursuing Thornton, but that the White Sox want young left-hander Derek Holland in return. The Rangers would be nuts to do that, of course, so Rosenthal hears that they would only move Holland if the deal was expanded to include a starter like John Danks.
And finally, Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting that the Red Sox are “pushing hard” for Thornton and outfielder Carlos Quentin. However, the feeling is that they would have to be “overwhelmed” to part with the pair in the same deal.
Thornton, 34, has a 3.28 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings this season. He has a 1.65 ERA since the start of May.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)