Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If you have been tracking the trade deadline madness on Twitter today, you may have noticed a few rumors about Matt Thornton over the past couple of hours. Here’s a quick and handy recap.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post gets the sense that the White Sox have “really fallen out of love” with the veteran left-hander and would love to move the $12 million he is owed between 2012-2013. Always on the lookout to spend money on left-handed relievers, Sherman notes that the Yankees are among the teams watching him.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Rangers are also pursuing Thornton, but that the White Sox want young left-hander Derek Holland in return. The Rangers would be nuts to do that, of course, so Rosenthal hears that they would only move Holland if the deal was expanded to include a starter like John Danks.
And finally, Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting that the Red Sox are “pushing hard” for Thornton and outfielder Carlos Quentin. However, the feeling is that they would have to be “overwhelmed” to part with the pair in the same deal.
Thornton, 34, has a 3.28 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings this season. He has a 1.65 ERA since the start of May.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)