Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 PM EST
If you have been tracking the trade deadline madness on Twitter today, you may have noticed a few rumors about Matt Thornton over the past couple of hours. Here’s a quick and handy recap.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post gets the sense that the White Sox have “really fallen out of love” with the veteran left-hander and would love to move the $12 million he is owed between 2012-2013. Always on the lookout to spend money on left-handed relievers, Sherman notes that the Yankees are among the teams watching him.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Rangers are also pursuing Thornton, but that the White Sox want young left-hander Derek Holland in return. The Rangers would be nuts to do that, of course, so Rosenthal hears that they would only move Holland if the deal was expanded to include a starter like John Danks.
And finally, Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting that the Red Sox are “pushing hard” for Thornton and outfielder Carlos Quentin. However, the feeling is that they would have to be “overwhelmed” to part with the pair in the same deal.
Thornton, 34, has a 3.28 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings this season. He has a 1.65 ERA since the start of May.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 3
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 90
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)