Jul 30, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
If you have been tracking the trade deadline madness on Twitter today, you may have noticed a few rumors about Matt Thornton over the past couple of hours. Here’s a quick and handy recap.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post gets the sense that the White Sox have “really fallen out of love” with the veteran left-hander and would love to move the $12 million he is owed between 2012-2013. Always on the lookout to spend money on left-handed relievers, Sherman notes that the Yankees are among the teams watching him.
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com hears that the Rangers are also pursuing Thornton, but that the White Sox want young left-hander Derek Holland in return. The Rangers would be nuts to do that, of course, so Rosenthal hears that they would only move Holland if the deal was expanded to include a starter like John Danks.
And finally, Bob Nightengale of USA Today is reporting that the Red Sox are “pushing hard” for Thornton and outfielder Carlos Quentin. However, the feeling is that they would have to be “overwhelmed” to part with the pair in the same deal.
Thornton, 34, has a 3.28 ERA and 35/15 K/BB ratio over 35 2/3 innings this season. He has a 1.65 ERA since the start of May.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)