Jul 30, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Nelson Cruz will likely be limited to pinch-hitting duties this weekend in Toronto after leaving Friday’s game with tightness in his left quadriceps.
Cruz tweaked his quad playing catch between innings when he reached wide for a throw and his spikes got caught in the AstroTurf at the Rogers Centre. Of course, he went on the disabled list in May with an injury to his right quad, so the Rangers aren’t going to take any chances.
Cruz, 31, is hitting .262/.311/.536 with 23 homers, 69 RBI, six stolen bases and an .847 OPS in 363 plate appearances this season. He is batting .357 (20-for-56) with three homers and 14 RBI since the All-Star break.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)