Jul 30, 2011, 1:45 PM EDT
According to Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Nelson Cruz will likely be limited to pinch-hitting duties this weekend in Toronto after leaving Friday’s game with tightness in his left quadriceps.
Cruz tweaked his quad playing catch between innings when he reached wide for a throw and his spikes got caught in the AstroTurf at the Rogers Centre. Of course, he went on the disabled list in May with an injury to his right quad, so the Rangers aren’t going to take any chances.
Cruz, 31, is hitting .262/.311/.536 with 23 homers, 69 RBI, six stolen bases and an .847 OPS in 363 plate appearances this season. He is batting .357 (20-for-56) with three homers and 14 RBI since the All-Star break.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 41
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 45
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 65
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims