Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EST
Richard was originally placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was termed as a strained left shoulder. Padres manager Bud Black said the exploratory surgery was deemed necessary after his shoulder failed to respond to treatment.
“He wasn’t progressing to the point where rehab or a strengthening program was going to help,” Black said.
Richard opted for the surgery after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Thursday. Padres team physicians Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek smoothed out the glenoid labrum, biceps tendon and rotator cuff.
Richard went 5-9 with a 3.88 ERA over 18 starts this season, though his velocity and strikeout rates were both down from where they were last season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)