Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
Richard was originally placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was termed as a strained left shoulder. Padres manager Bud Black said the exploratory surgery was deemed necessary after his shoulder failed to respond to treatment.
“He wasn’t progressing to the point where rehab or a strengthening program was going to help,” Black said.
Richard opted for the surgery after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Thursday. Padres team physicians Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek smoothed out the glenoid labrum, biceps tendon and rotator cuff.
Richard went 5-9 with a 3.88 ERA over 18 starts this season, though his velocity and strikeout rates were both down from where they were last season.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)