Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
Richard was originally placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was termed as a strained left shoulder. Padres manager Bud Black said the exploratory surgery was deemed necessary after his shoulder failed to respond to treatment.
“He wasn’t progressing to the point where rehab or a strengthening program was going to help,” Black said.
Richard opted for the surgery after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Thursday. Padres team physicians Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek smoothed out the glenoid labrum, biceps tendon and rotator cuff.
Richard went 5-9 with a 3.88 ERA over 18 starts this season, though his velocity and strikeout rates were both down from where they were last season.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (92)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)