Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
Richard was originally placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was termed as a strained left shoulder. Padres manager Bud Black said the exploratory surgery was deemed necessary after his shoulder failed to respond to treatment.
“He wasn’t progressing to the point where rehab or a strengthening program was going to help,” Black said.
Richard opted for the surgery after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Thursday. Padres team physicians Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek smoothed out the glenoid labrum, biceps tendon and rotator cuff.
Richard went 5-9 with a 3.88 ERA over 18 starts this season, though his velocity and strikeout rates were both down from where they were last season.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)