Jul 30, 2011, 9:46 AM EST
Richard was originally placed on the disabled list earlier this month with what was termed as a strained left shoulder. Padres manager Bud Black said the exploratory surgery was deemed necessary after his shoulder failed to respond to treatment.
“He wasn’t progressing to the point where rehab or a strengthening program was going to help,” Black said.
Richard opted for the surgery after getting a second opinion from Dr. Lewis Yocum on Thursday. Padres team physicians Dr. Heinz Hoenecke and Dr. Jan Fronek smoothed out the glenoid labrum, biceps tendon and rotator cuff.
Richard went 5-9 with a 3.88 ERA over 18 starts this season, though his velocity and strikeout rates were both down from where they were last season.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 42
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 108
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (115)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)