Jul 30, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT
I hope you’re happy, Phillies fans.
While the Phillies were able to acquire All-Star outfielder Hunter Pence from the Astros last night, we’ll still have to be subjected to Raul Ibanez in left field on a regular basis. According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Phillies plan to send Domonic Brown down to the minors so that he can play everyday, presumably until the rosters expand in September.
The Phillies will likely need to make two roster moves today, with Pence coming over from the Astros expected Placido Polanco to return from the disabled list. On the positive side of things, at least the Phillies didn’t cave completely and give up Brown as part of the Pence trade. They paid a heavy price to get a deal done with the Astros, but including Brown would have been utter madness.
Brown, 23, is batting .246/.335/.393 with five home runs, 19 RBI and three stolen bases over 204 plate appearances this season. The rookie outfielder is hitting .296 (21-for-71) with a .398 on-base percentage this month.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)