Phillies send Domonic Brown to minors, activate Placido Polanco from disabled list

Jul 30, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Toronto Blue Jays Getty Images

The Phillies just made it official, sending outfielder Domonic Brown and right-hander Andrew Carpenter to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. These moves cleared the way for the newly-acquired Hunter Pence to be added to the active roster and for third baseman Placido Polanco to return from the disabled list.

We already talked about the Brown demotion this morning, but the plan is for him to play everyday in the minor leagues, presumably until rosters expand in September. The 23-year-old has looked a little shaky defensively, but has held his own offensively with a .728 OPS and 34/25 K/BB ratio over 209 plate appearances this season.

Polanco hasn’t played since July 4 due to lower back inflammation. The 35-year-old was hitless over six at-bats in two rehab games with Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but the Phillies were obviously more focused on the condition of his back than the results. They’re hopeful some rest and a recent epidural injection will make a difference, as he is batting just .216/.276/.261 with two homers and a .537 OPS since the start of May.

UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the plan is for Brown to play left field for the foreseeable future, as there will be an opening there when Raul Ibanez becomes a free agent following the season. He is starting in left field (hat-tip to the comments section) for Triple-A Lehigh Valley this evening.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Good to see Polanco back. Even a less than healthy Polanco is an upgrade over Martinez and Valdez.

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Even a less than healthy Polanco is an upgrade over Martinez and Valdez.

Considering it was his ailing back that had him hitting .248 in May and then .213 in June until he finally admitted his back was not letting him play well, I can’t say I agree with that statement. I only want a Healthy Polanco in the line-up.

There is an argument to be made that if Polly and Oz had been honest about their injuries, they would have gone on the DL sooner, gotten treatment earlier, and would have been back in the Roster since early-mid June and helping the Phillies cause instead of hurting it by playing in less than 100% health with only 50% of the performance.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Yep…a .230 average with his defense is an upgrade over Martinez and Valdez.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM

FC,

In principle, I agree with you. However, we know that the Phillies roster is full of gamers. These guys want to play through injuries because they are gamers.

In a perfect world, though, I agree 100% with you.

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Yep…a .230 average with his defense is an upgrade over Martinez and Valdez.

But my point is Polanco isn’t a .230 hitter, he’s a .300 hitter, I’d rather he had sat out May, gotten well, and went back to hitting.300+ in June onwards.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Yeah, yeah…I agree with that completely. That is what he should absolutely have done. I guess my point was that Polanco in any capacity is better than what they were throwing out there.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Good Doctor,

Question to you. How do you prefer, Thome or Giambi and why? Obviously, hypothetical.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Giambi and Thome is a tough call. I think Giambi is the better hitter at this point and might even chip in at 1st base if absolutely necessary. I think Giambi has 10HR this year but 3 were in that single game against the Phillies. Thome has 7 HR. Overall, I think it is 6 of one and half dozen of the other. However, the thought of Thome hitting is 600 HR in a Phillies uniform and the sentimental nature of his presence swings the pendulum in his favor. He started the momentum moving forward for the franchise and it would make me doubly happy to have him get a WS ring in red pinstripes.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM

Well said, Good Doctor. I share your sentiment. From the tug at the heart angle, I would love to see them pick up Thome to come off the bench.

2. phrontiersman - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Worth noting that Brown is playing LF in Lehigh tonight. That may be his position in 2012.

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:48 PM

My position will be CP, watching the games.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:59 PM

CP=Couch position?

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Couch Potato!

But you got the idea! :-)

3. halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:28 PM

This is good news. As I stated before, Dom Brown is not ready to play in the majors. He will go back down and play everyday in AAA. He will probably get called back up in September when the rosters expand.

I would then request him to play winter ball after the season. He needs to improve defensively and get as many bats as he can. He needs to go, if he wants to better himself and make the sacrifice.

I will be closely watching Polanco with his back situation.

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I will be closely watching Polanco with his back situation

Clubhouse Banter:

“Polly!!! You’re back!”

“It’s feeling ok, thanks for ask-”

“No, you’re back, you’re here.”

“Oh yeah…”

“Hey Polly! Your back?”

“Yeah man, it’s good to be in the clubhouse.”

“No, you’re back, how’s it feeling?”

“Uhh… it’s a lot better thanks.”

“Polly! You’re back!”

“Yes, I am here, and yes my back is OK, cut it out dudes!!!!”

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Lol!!! Very clever! Reminds me of the who’s on first, what’s on second, and I don’t know is on third skit by Abbot and Costello.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Interestingly enough, the corresponding roster move for Polanco was to send Andrew Carpenter back to AAA where he belongs. Now, I guess Michael Martinez can be Ross Gload’s designated pinch runner.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Yeah. Carpenter’s demotion is no big loss. Martinez still will spell Polanco and Utley, as well as any other outfield rest situations as he can play several positions.

I’m more interested in the Phillies inquiry on both Thome and Giambi as a power bat off the bench, though.

• FC - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I always insisted that Thome was short for Thunderdome.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM

FC,

Yeah. Pretty close comparison. I saw Thome in both the Vet and CBP hit some massive shots that would have hit the top of the Thunderdome. Mad Max would be proud.

5. andyreidisfat - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I gotta say something off topic. The posters on this site are so much more better than on PFT. Its just insults and jerkoff over there.

Anyway i just wanted to weigh in on Thome. I heard the Twins don’t want to move the guy untill he hits his 600th. But at the same time I would think Thome who really did get this whole deal started for the Phills should be brought back to philly to get that done here. Also i think he can still play first a lil bit and it would be nice to get Howard some nights off down the stretch. Plus Giambi is a cheater and i’d like to think since the 93 teams the Phills have been a pretty clean team. (that entire 93 team was on roids, everyone of them. like extra Roids )

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Thanks, Andy. We try. There are some really intelligent posters on this site that know the game of baseball and we enjoy conversing. It’s a lot of fun. Stay around if you follow the Phillies. Lots of Phillies talk on this site. I am a 4 for 4 guy with Philly sports and can talk football too, but do not do so here because it’s obviously a baseball site.

I agree. I think Thome coming back to Philly under his surrogate father Charlie Manuel would be great. The chance to hit his 600th homerun and win a ring would be great for Thome.

• mdpickles - Jul 30, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Danny Jackson, Lenny, Hollins, Incaviligia (supplier?). Heck, I’m sure my fav Morandini did too. Dutch was mixing steroids and LSD? Who am I missing?

However, I’ve always said the ’08 Phils were the first clean WS Champs in the post-steroid era, despite JC’s hiccup.

6. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 30, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Angel Hernandez….worst umpire in baseball.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3301)