Jul 30, 2011, 4:20 PM EDT
The Phillies just made it official, sending outfielder Domonic Brown and right-hander Andrew Carpenter to Triple-A Lehigh Valley. These moves cleared the way for the newly-acquired Hunter Pence to be added to the active roster and for third baseman Placido Polanco to return from the disabled list.
We already talked about the Brown demotion this morning, but the plan is for him to play everyday in the minor leagues, presumably until rosters expand in September. The 23-year-old has looked a little shaky defensively, but has held his own offensively with a .728 OPS and 34/25 K/BB ratio over 209 plate appearances this season.
Polanco hasn’t played since July 4 due to lower back inflammation. The 35-year-old was hitless over six at-bats in two rehab games with Triple-A Lehigh Valley, but the Phillies were obviously more focused on the condition of his back than the results. They’re hopeful some rest and a recent epidural injection will make a difference, as he is batting just .216/.276/.261 with two homers and a .537 OPS since the start of May.
UPDATE: Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that the plan is for Brown to play left field for the foreseeable future, as there will be an opening there when Raul Ibanez becomes a free agent following the season. He is starting in left field (hat-tip to the comments section) for Triple-A Lehigh Valley this evening.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)