Jul 30, 2011, 10:08 PM EDT
No word yet on what the Dodgers will be getting in return.
Furcal has been plagued by injuries for most of the 2011 season and has hit just .197/.272/.248 in 37 games, but the Cardinals are optimistic that he’ll be able to get back to his career norms with a change of scenery.
The 33-year-old speedster is a far better defensive shortstop than Ryan Theriot and should bat leadoff most nights for St. Louis. Even with his recent struggles, Furcal still boasts a .283 career batting average and a .349 career on-base percentage.
Furcal is making $12 million this season and has a $12 million club option for 2012.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)