Jul 30, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Aviles, who opened the season as the Royals’ primary third baseman, has hit .286/.317/.417 in 1,148 at-bats over the last four seasons. He’s capable of playing shortstop in addition to second and third, though he’s not really an asset there. What he does do is pummel lefties: he’s hit .296/.343/.464 against them in his career.
To bring in the insurance policy, the Red Sox surrendered Navarro, a 23-year-old who took a big step forward last year to turn himself into a candidate to start in the majors. He had spent some time on Boston’s bench this year, hitting .216/.275/.351 in 37 at-bats. Much more encouraging is his .265/.356/.486 line in 181 Triple-A at-bats the last two seasons.
Still, Navarro wasn’t ever likely to crack Boston’s lineup as a starter. He may have more luck in Kansas City someday, though he will be behind Alcides Escobar at short and Mike Moustakas at third. Having picked up some outfield time this year, he may prove to be a great fit in a super-utility role.
Volz didn’t rank among Boston’s better pitching prospects. The 2009 ninth-round pick was moved to the pen at high-A Salem this year and had a 3.33 ERA and a 56/12 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings.
Aviles will be arbitration eligible for the first time this winter. The Red Sox will control his rights through 2014, so not only can he help out this year, but he can step in for free-agent-to-be Marco Scutaro next year.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)