Jul 30, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Aviles, who opened the season as the Royals’ primary third baseman, has hit .286/.317/.417 in 1,148 at-bats over the last four seasons. He’s capable of playing shortstop in addition to second and third, though he’s not really an asset there. What he does do is pummel lefties: he’s hit .296/.343/.464 against them in his career.
To bring in the insurance policy, the Red Sox surrendered Navarro, a 23-year-old who took a big step forward last year to turn himself into a candidate to start in the majors. He had spent some time on Boston’s bench this year, hitting .216/.275/.351 in 37 at-bats. Much more encouraging is his .265/.356/.486 line in 181 Triple-A at-bats the last two seasons.
Still, Navarro wasn’t ever likely to crack Boston’s lineup as a starter. He may have more luck in Kansas City someday, though he will be behind Alcides Escobar at short and Mike Moustakas at third. Having picked up some outfield time this year, he may prove to be a great fit in a super-utility role.
Volz didn’t rank among Boston’s better pitching prospects. The 2009 ninth-round pick was moved to the pen at high-A Salem this year and had a 3.33 ERA and a 56/12 K/BB ratio in 51 1/3 innings.
Aviles will be arbitration eligible for the first time this winter. The Red Sox will control his rights through 2014, so not only can he help out this year, but he can step in for free-agent-to-be Marco Scutaro next year.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)