Jul 30, 2011, 9:37 PM EST
Now that the Ubaldo Jimenez sweepstakes have ended, other dominoes can begin falling.
He doesn’t have the upside of Ubaldo, but Harden has posted a cool 30/10 K/BB ratio and 1.16 WHIP since returning from the disabled list in early July. The 29-year-old right-hander has a 3.65 career major league ERA and is owed less than $1 million through the end of the season.
The two sides are still talking, but an agreement could be reached at some point late Saturday night. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is hearing that first base prospect Lars Anderson may be headed to Oakland.
UPDATE, 9:40 PM: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has the goods. The A’s will receive Anderson, who has a .782 OPS and 10 homers this year at Triple-A, and a player to be named later. The deal will be finalized on Sunday morning.
UPDATE, 1:10 AM: In a surprising turn of events, the trade has fallen through. Harden is scheduled to pitch for the A’s Tuesday against the Mariners and told reporters on Saturday night that he fully intends to make that start. Perhaps the Red Sox and A’s will revisit talks on Sunday morning.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 125
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (125)