Jul 30, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
Now that the Ubaldo Jimenez sweepstakes have ended, other dominoes can begin falling.
He doesn’t have the upside of Ubaldo, but Harden has posted a cool 30/10 K/BB ratio and 1.16 WHIP since returning from the disabled list in early July. The 29-year-old right-hander has a 3.65 career major league ERA and is owed less than $1 million through the end of the season.
The two sides are still talking, but an agreement could be reached at some point late Saturday night. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is hearing that first base prospect Lars Anderson may be headed to Oakland.
UPDATE, 9:40 PM: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has the goods. The A’s will receive Anderson, who has a .782 OPS and 10 homers this year at Triple-A, and a player to be named later. The deal will be finalized on Sunday morning.
UPDATE, 1:10 AM: In a surprising turn of events, the trade has fallen through. Harden is scheduled to pitch for the A’s Tuesday against the Mariners and told reporters on Saturday night that he fully intends to make that start. Perhaps the Red Sox and A’s will revisit talks on Sunday morning.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)