Jul 30, 2011, 9:37 PM EDT
Now that the Ubaldo Jimenez sweepstakes have ended, other dominoes can begin falling.
He doesn’t have the upside of Ubaldo, but Harden has posted a cool 30/10 K/BB ratio and 1.16 WHIP since returning from the disabled list in early July. The 29-year-old right-hander has a 3.65 career major league ERA and is owed less than $1 million through the end of the season.
The two sides are still talking, but an agreement could be reached at some point late Saturday night. Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe is hearing that first base prospect Lars Anderson may be headed to Oakland.
UPDATE, 9:40 PM: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus has the goods. The A’s will receive Anderson, who has a .782 OPS and 10 homers this year at Triple-A, and a player to be named later. The deal will be finalized on Sunday morning.
UPDATE, 1:10 AM: In a surprising turn of events, the trade has fallen through. Harden is scheduled to pitch for the A’s Tuesday against the Mariners and told reporters on Saturday night that he fully intends to make that start. Perhaps the Red Sox and A’s will revisit talks on Sunday morning.
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 36
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 10
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 41
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 6
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 60
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants