Jul 30, 2011, 11:49 AM EDT
UPDATE: Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Nationals will receive prospect outfielder Erik Komatsu from the Brewers. Komatsu is batting .294/.393/.416 with six homers, 40 RBI, 13 stolen bases and an .809 OPS over 379 plate appearances with Double-A Huntsville this season. The 23-year-old has an impressive 163/161 K/BB ratio in the minors. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 14 prospect coming into the season by Baseball America.
11:42 AM: ESPN’s Chris Singleton reports that the Brewers have acquired utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Nationals. No word who the Brewers will sent to Washington in the deal.
Hairston, 35, is batting .268/.342/.385 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .727 OPS over 238 plate appearances this season.
The Brewers lost Rickie Weeks to an ankle injury earlier this week and Casey McGehee has struggled all season at third base, so Hairston could be a solution at either position. Yuniesky Betancourt has swung the bat better lately, but he’s, well, Yuniesky Betancourt. Hairston could also play center field in a pinch, providing a backup to Nyjer Morgan following Carlos Gomez‘s broken collarbone. The Brewers acquired Felipe Lopez from the Rays on Thursday, who offers similar flexibility for their infield.
The Nationals optioned Roger Bernadina to Triple-A Syracuse yesterday, so barring a trade before tomorrow’s deadline, it appears they are going to roll with Rick Ankiel in center field on a regular basis.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)