Jul 30, 2011, 11:49 AM EST
UPDATE: Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Nationals will receive prospect outfielder Erik Komatsu from the Brewers. Komatsu is batting .294/.393/.416 with six homers, 40 RBI, 13 stolen bases and an .809 OPS over 379 plate appearances with Double-A Huntsville this season. The 23-year-old has an impressive 163/161 K/BB ratio in the minors. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 14 prospect coming into the season by Baseball America.
11:42 AM: ESPN’s Chris Singleton reports that the Brewers have acquired utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Nationals. No word who the Brewers will sent to Washington in the deal.
Hairston, 35, is batting .268/.342/.385 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .727 OPS over 238 plate appearances this season.
The Brewers lost Rickie Weeks to an ankle injury earlier this week and Casey McGehee has struggled all season at third base, so Hairston could be a solution at either position. Yuniesky Betancourt has swung the bat better lately, but he’s, well, Yuniesky Betancourt. Hairston could also play center field in a pinch, providing a backup to Nyjer Morgan following Carlos Gomez‘s broken collarbone. The Brewers acquired Felipe Lopez from the Rays on Thursday, who offers similar flexibility for their infield.
The Nationals optioned Roger Bernadina to Triple-A Syracuse yesterday, so barring a trade before tomorrow’s deadline, it appears they are going to roll with Rick Ankiel in center field on a regular basis.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)