Jul 30, 2011, 11:49 AM EST
UPDATE: Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reports that the Nationals will receive prospect outfielder Erik Komatsu from the Brewers. Komatsu is batting .294/.393/.416 with six homers, 40 RBI, 13 stolen bases and an .809 OPS over 379 plate appearances with Double-A Huntsville this season. The 23-year-old has an impressive 163/161 K/BB ratio in the minors. He was ranked as the organization’s No. 14 prospect coming into the season by Baseball America.
11:42 AM: ESPN’s Chris Singleton reports that the Brewers have acquired utility man Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Nationals. No word who the Brewers will sent to Washington in the deal.
Hairston, 35, is batting .268/.342/.385 with four homers, 24 RBI and a .727 OPS over 238 plate appearances this season.
The Brewers lost Rickie Weeks to an ankle injury earlier this week and Casey McGehee has struggled all season at third base, so Hairston could be a solution at either position. Yuniesky Betancourt has swung the bat better lately, but he’s, well, Yuniesky Betancourt. Hairston could also play center field in a pinch, providing a backup to Nyjer Morgan following Carlos Gomez‘s broken collarbone. The Brewers acquired Felipe Lopez from the Rays on Thursday, who offers similar flexibility for their infield.
The Nationals optioned Roger Bernadina to Triple-A Syracuse yesterday, so barring a trade before tomorrow’s deadline, it appears they are going to roll with Rick Ankiel in center field on a regular basis.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 10
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)