Jul 30, 2011, 3:17 PM EST
The Indians remain in the market for offensive help after acquiring Kosuke Fukudome and they’re making progress on talks with the Padres regarding Ryan Ludwick, says ESPN.com’s Buster Olney.
It’d be Ludwick’s second stint in Cleveland, and the hope is that it’d go better than his first; unable to establish himself because of knee problems, he hit .247/.305/.467 with 13 homers in 227 at-bats for the Indians from 2004-06.
Ludwick has hit .238/.301/.372 for the Padres this season, but it does come with 62 RBI in 374 at-bats. He’s been somewhat better outside of Petco Park, hitting .258/.300/.389 with six homers in 190 at-bats.
Olney tweeted that there’s a “good chance” a deal will be struck. Ludwick is a free agent at season’s end and the Padres might not want to risk offering him arbitration anyway, so the return shouldn’t be too significant.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)