Jul 30, 2011, 10:21 AM EST
The Indians are looking to make a splash.
According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post, the Indians were willing to discuss top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz in a potential deal for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Pomeranz was selected fifth overall in last year’s First-Year Player Draft. The 22-year-old left-hander has a 1.98 ERA over his first 18 professional starts. He was recently promoted to Double-A Akron after posting a 1.87 ERA and 112/38 K/BB ratio over 77 innings with High-A Kinston. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 14th best prospect on their midseason list.
Jon Heyman of SI.com wrote yesterday that “others think” the Indians are a “big threat” for Jimenez because they have Pomeranz and right-hander Alex White, who posted a 3.60 ERA over three starts before going on the disabled list with a strained ligament in his right index finger.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)