Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT
As we hinted a few hours ago, the Pirates are getting a first baseman.
The Orioles have sent Derrek Lee to the Pirates for fellow first baseman Aaron Baker, a 2009 11th-round pick hitting .285/.353/.474 with 15 homers for Single-A Bradenton this season.
Lee was always movable for the Orioles, but Baltimore pretty much had to let him go now with Chris Davis in the fold. They’ll likely give Davis a long look at third base, with Mark Reynolds making the move to first. Davis has also played plenty of first base, but he is the better defender at the hot corner.
Lee hit just .246 with 12 homers and 41 RBI for the Orioles this season, but most of his production has come of late. He entered Saturday with a .261/.306/.533 line, six homers and 19 RBI in 92 at-bats this month.
So, the odds are good that Lee will be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Since the price was right, it’s a nice pickup for the Pirates.
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 58
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 74
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 68
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 99
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (99)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)