Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT
As we hinted a few hours ago, the Pirates are getting a first baseman.
The Orioles have sent Derrek Lee to the Pirates for fellow first baseman Aaron Baker, a 2009 11th-round pick hitting .285/.353/.474 with 15 homers for Single-A Bradenton this season.
Lee was always movable for the Orioles, but Baltimore pretty much had to let him go now with Chris Davis in the fold. They’ll likely give Davis a long look at third base, with Mark Reynolds making the move to first. Davis has also played plenty of first base, but he is the better defender at the hot corner.
Lee hit just .246 with 12 homers and 41 RBI for the Orioles this season, but most of his production has come of late. He entered Saturday with a .261/.306/.533 line, six homers and 19 RBI in 92 at-bats this month.
So, the odds are good that Lee will be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Since the price was right, it’s a nice pickup for the Pirates.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)