Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT
As we hinted a few hours ago, the Pirates are getting a first baseman.
The Orioles have sent Derrek Lee to the Pirates for fellow first baseman Aaron Baker, a 2009 11th-round pick hitting .285/.353/.474 with 15 homers for Single-A Bradenton this season.
Lee was always movable for the Orioles, but Baltimore pretty much had to let him go now with Chris Davis in the fold. They’ll likely give Davis a long look at third base, with Mark Reynolds making the move to first. Davis has also played plenty of first base, but he is the better defender at the hot corner.
Lee hit just .246 with 12 homers and 41 RBI for the Orioles this season, but most of his production has come of late. He entered Saturday with a .261/.306/.533 line, six homers and 19 RBI in 92 at-bats this month.
So, the odds are good that Lee will be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Since the price was right, it’s a nice pickup for the Pirates.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 0
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 21
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (105)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT