Jul 30, 2011, 11:38 PM EDT
As we hinted a few hours ago, the Pirates are getting a first baseman.
The Orioles have sent Derrek Lee to the Pirates for fellow first baseman Aaron Baker, a 2009 11th-round pick hitting .285/.353/.474 with 15 homers for Single-A Bradenton this season.
Lee was always movable for the Orioles, but Baltimore pretty much had to let him go now with Chris Davis in the fold. They’ll likely give Davis a long look at third base, with Mark Reynolds making the move to first. Davis has also played plenty of first base, but he is the better defender at the hot corner.
Lee hit just .246 with 12 homers and 41 RBI for the Orioles this season, but most of his production has come of late. He entered Saturday with a .261/.306/.533 line, six homers and 19 RBI in 92 at-bats this month.
So, the odds are good that Lee will be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay in Pittsburgh. Since the price was right, it’s a nice pickup for the Pirates.
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 112
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (124)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (100)