Jul 30, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Turner will make his first major league start today against the Angels, though it’s said to be a “one-shot deal” as the Tigers hope to acquire Doug Fister.
8:40 AM: Here’s an interesting one.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Tigers are calling up top prospect right-hander Jacob Turner.
The 20-year-old right-hander was originally scheduled to pitch for Double-A Erie today, so it’s possible he could replace left-hander Duane Below in the starting rotation tonight against the Angels. However, as of early this morning, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports the Tigers weren’t answering any questions about his status. It’s worth noting that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors recently, most notably for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Selected ninth overall in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Turner has a 3.38 ERA over his first two professional seasons, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9. He has a 3.48 ERA over 17 starts with Double-A Erie this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 11th best prospect on their midseason list.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)