Jul 30, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Turner will make his first major league start today against the Angels, though it’s said to be a “one-shot deal” as the Tigers hope to acquire Doug Fister.
8:40 AM: Here’s an interesting one.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Tigers are calling up top prospect right-hander Jacob Turner.
The 20-year-old right-hander was originally scheduled to pitch for Double-A Erie today, so it’s possible he could replace left-hander Duane Below in the starting rotation tonight against the Angels. However, as of early this morning, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports the Tigers weren’t answering any questions about his status. It’s worth noting that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors recently, most notably for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Selected ninth overall in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Turner has a 3.38 ERA over his first two professional seasons, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9. He has a 3.48 ERA over 17 starts with Double-A Erie this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 11th best prospect on their midseason list.
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 30
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)