Jul 30, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Turner will make his first major league start today against the Angels, though it’s said to be a “one-shot deal” as the Tigers hope to acquire Doug Fister.
8:40 AM: Here’s an interesting one.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Tigers are calling up top prospect right-hander Jacob Turner.
The 20-year-old right-hander was originally scheduled to pitch for Double-A Erie today, so it’s possible he could replace left-hander Duane Below in the starting rotation tonight against the Angels. However, as of early this morning, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports the Tigers weren’t answering any questions about his status. It’s worth noting that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors recently, most notably for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Selected ninth overall in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Turner has a 3.38 ERA over his first two professional seasons, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9. He has a 3.48 ERA over 17 starts with Double-A Erie this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 11th best prospect on their midseason list.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)