Jul 30, 2011, 8:40 AM EST
UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Turner will make his first major league start today against the Angels, though it’s said to be a “one-shot deal” as the Tigers hope to acquire Doug Fister.
8:40 AM: Here’s an interesting one.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Tigers are calling up top prospect right-hander Jacob Turner.
The 20-year-old right-hander was originally scheduled to pitch for Double-A Erie today, so it’s possible he could replace left-hander Duane Below in the starting rotation tonight against the Angels. However, as of early this morning, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports the Tigers weren’t answering any questions about his status. It’s worth noting that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors recently, most notably for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Selected ninth overall in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Turner has a 3.38 ERA over his first two professional seasons, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9. He has a 3.48 ERA over 17 starts with Double-A Erie this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 11th best prospect on their midseason list.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)