Jul 30, 2011, 8:40 AM EDT
UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports that Turner will make his first major league start today against the Angels, though it’s said to be a “one-shot deal” as the Tigers hope to acquire Doug Fister.
8:40 AM: Here’s an interesting one.
According to Jon Heyman of SI.com, the Tigers are calling up top prospect right-hander Jacob Turner.
The 20-year-old right-hander was originally scheduled to pitch for Double-A Erie today, so it’s possible he could replace left-hander Duane Below in the starting rotation tonight against the Angels. However, as of early this morning, Jason Beck of MLB.com reports the Tigers weren’t answering any questions about his status. It’s worth noting that his name has been mentioned in trade rumors recently, most notably for Rockies’ right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez.
Selected ninth overall in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Turner has a 3.38 ERA over his first two professional seasons, averaging 7.5 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9. He has a 3.48 ERA over 17 starts with Double-A Erie this season. Baseball America recently ranked him as the game’s 11th best prospect on their midseason list.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)