Jul 30, 2011, 5:02 PM EST
Walters, 21, is batting .302/.377/.485 with nine homers, 56 RBI and 12 stolen bases over 412 plate appearances with Class A South Bend this season. Baseball America ranked him as the organization’s No. 29 prospect coming into the season.
4:46 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade with the Nationals for right-hander Jason Marquis. It’s not yet known who the Nationals will receive in return or if they will pay any of his remaining salary for this season.
Marquis was scheduled to face the Mets this evening, but Yunesky Maya is expected to start in his place.
The Diamondbacks enter play today four games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 behind the Braves in the Wild Card. They have struggled to find a reliable fifth starter for a while now, so Marquis represents an upgrade for the starting rotation.
4:28 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are working to acquire Jason Marquis from the Nationals.
The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that the Nats and Tigers were extremely close to a Marquis deal on Thursday. He indicated that the door was closed after the Fister trade, but Ladson is saying differently.
Kilgore also reported that the Nationals have Yunesky Maya traveling to Washington in case Marquis is traded prior to his scheduled start against the Mets tonight.
Marquis is 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA in 120 2/3 innings for the Nationals this season. Following Fister’s addition, the Tigers have a rotation of Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Fister and Brad Penny. Penny, who had a dispute with Victor Martinez on the field Thursday, may be the odd-man out if the Tigers acquire another starter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (119)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)