Jul 30, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Walters, 21, is batting .302/.377/.485 with nine homers, 56 RBI and 12 stolen bases over 412 plate appearances with Class A South Bend this season. Baseball America ranked him as the organization’s No. 29 prospect coming into the season.
4:46 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade with the Nationals for right-hander Jason Marquis. It’s not yet known who the Nationals will receive in return or if they will pay any of his remaining salary for this season.
Marquis was scheduled to face the Mets this evening, but Yunesky Maya is expected to start in his place.
The Diamondbacks enter play today four games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 behind the Braves in the Wild Card. They have struggled to find a reliable fifth starter for a while now, so Marquis represents an upgrade for the starting rotation.
4:28 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are working to acquire Jason Marquis from the Nationals.
The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that the Nats and Tigers were extremely close to a Marquis deal on Thursday. He indicated that the door was closed after the Fister trade, but Ladson is saying differently.
Kilgore also reported that the Nationals have Yunesky Maya traveling to Washington in case Marquis is traded prior to his scheduled start against the Mets tonight.
Marquis is 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA in 120 2/3 innings for the Nationals this season. Following Fister’s addition, the Tigers have a rotation of Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Fister and Brad Penny. Penny, who had a dispute with Victor Martinez on the field Thursday, may be the odd-man out if the Tigers acquire another starter.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)