Jul 30, 2011, 5:02 PM EDT
Walters, 21, is batting .302/.377/.485 with nine homers, 56 RBI and 12 stolen bases over 412 plate appearances with Class A South Bend this season. Baseball America ranked him as the organization’s No. 29 prospect coming into the season.
4:46 PM: FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Diamondbacks have agreed to a trade with the Nationals for right-hander Jason Marquis. It’s not yet known who the Nationals will receive in return or if they will pay any of his remaining salary for this season.
Marquis was scheduled to face the Mets this evening, but Yunesky Maya is expected to start in his place.
The Diamondbacks enter play today four games behind the Giants in the National League West and 4 1/2 behind the Braves in the Wild Card. They have struggled to find a reliable fifth starter for a while now, so Marquis represents an upgrade for the starting rotation.
4:28 PM: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Diamondbacks are working to acquire Jason Marquis from the Nationals.
The Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore reports that the Nats and Tigers were extremely close to a Marquis deal on Thursday. He indicated that the door was closed after the Fister trade, but Ladson is saying differently.
Kilgore also reported that the Nationals have Yunesky Maya traveling to Washington in case Marquis is traded prior to his scheduled start against the Mets tonight.
Marquis is 8-5 with a 3.95 ERA in 120 2/3 innings for the Nationals this season. Following Fister’s addition, the Tigers have a rotation of Justin Verlander, Max Scherzer, Rick Porcello, Fister and Brad Penny. Penny, who had a dispute with Victor Martinez on the field Thursday, may be the odd-man out if the Tigers acquire another starter.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)