Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Jul 30, 2011, 8:27 AM EDT

Albert Pujols Getty Images

Edwin Jackson made his Cardinals’ debut last night and tossed seven innings of one-run ball as part of a 9-2 victory over the Cubs. He was aided by a three-run homer by David Freese, three RBI off the bench by Ryan Theriot and Albert Pujols, who pulled an RBI double down the third base line in the bottom half of the eighth inning for his 2,000th career hit.

Pujols is the fifth Cardinal to reach the the 2,000 hit plateau, joining Stan Musial, Lou Brock, Rogers Hornsby and Enos Slaughter. With 1,650 games under his belt, the 31-year-old first baseman is the 12th fastest player in MLB history to reach the mark.

Your Friday box scores:

Cubs 2, Cardinals 9

Pirates 3, Phillies 10

Angels 2, Tigers 12

Mets 8, Nationals 5

Royals 12, Indians 0

Giants 3, Reds 4 (13 innings)

Orioles 4, Yankees 2

Marlins 0, Braves 5

Rangers 2, Blue Jays 3

Astros 0, Brewers 4

Red Sox 1, White Sox 3

Twins 9, Athletics 5

Rays 8, Mariners 0

Rockies 3, Padres 2

Diamondbacks 5, Dodgers 9

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I think that the question about whether Bedard or Harden would be the best trade target was answered last night. Guthrie and Francis both enhansed their trade value.

2. Old Gator - Jul 30, 2011 at 11:17 AM

The Feesh’s uniforms showed up but the rest of them must have gotten lost on MARTA someplace. Some reports had 25 naked guys milling around at the Sandy Springs station asking for directions to the stadium. Some of them had strange burns on their hands from trying to grab the strange attractor without wearing oven gloves. Just goes to show ya. I don’t know what it just goes to show ya but everything just goes to show ya something.

Clay Hensley’s uniform pitched pretty well before tiring in the seventh. The Curmudgeonly Undead probably figured Clay was going to live as long as his manager anyway so he left him one inning too long. Working without his mantis, Hensley coughed up a dinger to Dan Uggla, who swung hard in case he hit it, and hit it. Emilio Bonifacio’s plucky little hitting streak ended at 26 games – strange attractor burns on his hands made it hard to hold the bat – and he seems poised to launch a schneid wherein he hits .200 for a stretch and lowers his average to his accustomed .265 or so. Mike Cameron took a collar, raised his batting average to .157 (I’m trying to be positive about him), and provided veteran leadership. Mike Dunn came in to mop up and kicked over the bucket, getting smacked around for a couple more runs. Ah well.

Word is that the Feesh probably won’t make any “major moves” by tomorrow night, aside from getting on a plane and flying to New York. They can reach the airport from Sandy Springs by just getting on a southbound train and staying on it until it doesn’t move anymore.

It’s raining in Macondo again this morning. I’m developing REM deprivation from the cane toads singing around the pond. It’s not even mating season anymore so I have to assume that what I’m hearing is just art for art’s sake.

3. APBA Guy - Jul 30, 2011 at 11:40 AM

I feel better today. The real A’s have returned. Not the guys who played a few games against the Rays and scored the most runs of any team in the majors-for one day. I do miss those guys, but I hardly knew them. The guys last night? Them I know. Nine runs surrendered to the Twins, Willingham flailing in left but responding with 2 HR’s, saying “See, I’m worth it. Make the trade! I’ll cost you two but I’ll drive in 4. The math works. Really. It does. Get me out of here.” The 5-8 hitters going o-fer. A selected bullpen pitcher giving up 3-4 runs to put the game away, for the other team.

The guys are already starting to realize that nobody is buying. Look out Seattle, your basement position isn’t safe.

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Do they still call him “the Hammer” out sunsetside? When they named him that during his years with the Feesh, I thought it was pretty funny – Hank Aaron, John Milner and….Josh Willingham??? Even with that flattop haircut, I couldn’t quite see the logic of it.

• APBA Guy - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Some dare call him Hammer. But that usually perplexes the elderly in the A’s stands, who fondly recall MC Hammer when he was an A’s VP. At 17. In charge of all things bat-boy related. Sometimes we miss Charlie Finley. But it passes quickly.

4. spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Yes, it is way too early to draw any meaningful conclusions from a couple of games, but Jackson’s command was considerably better than I remembered and he turned in a quality performance in his first outing in The Mound City. Meanwhile Rasmus went 0 for 3 with 3 punch outs bringing his current Jays’ line to 0 for 8 with 5 Ks. But who’s counting? Me.

• Old Gator - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:11 PM

After being stuck in traffic and rain last night with nothing to keep me interested but local spords tawk raydeeo, I’m surprised at how many folks are hoping Rasmus flops. Last time I can recall such widely diffused bile towards a young ballplayer, it was directed at Greg Jeffries.

• APBA Guy - Jul 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Or JD Drew right after he spurned the Phillies when they drafted him.

• spudchukar - Jul 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM

What is this thing “Traffic”, that you speak of?

5. Old Gator - Jul 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Steve Winwood, Jim Capaldi, Chris Wood and Dave Mason. When they all get on the road at the same time, it’s a long listen.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3236)