Jul 30, 2011, 6:34 PM EDT
With less than 22 hours to go before the trade deadline, Ubaldo Jimenez is in San Diego and ready to make his start Saturday night for the Rockies.
YES Network’s Jack Curry and SI.com’s Jon Heyman are both reporting that the Rockies are asking for catcher Jesus Montero, right-hander Dellin Betances and right-hander Ivan Nova from the Yankees for Jimenez. It’s down from the original request, which included top pitching prospect Manny Banuelos, but it still sounds as though the Yankees aren’t interested in giving up both Montero and Betances in the same deal.
ESPN’s Buster Olney says rival executives believe the Indians have the best chance of getting a deal done with the Rockies. They’re believed to have top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz in their offer.
The Tigers, on the other hand, may be out of the mix, even though they dangled their No. 1 pitching prospect, Jacob Turner. The 20-year-old Turner made his major league debut Saturday, allowing two runs and three hits in 5 1/3 innings against the Angels.
There’s also been word that the Red Sox haven’t been in touch with the Rockies since Thursday. They may be more focused on Hiroki Kuroda at the moment.
So, we’ll see what happens tonight. If Jimenez is lights out, the Yankees or Indians might be more inclined to meet the Rockies’ steep asking price.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)