Jul 30, 2011, 6:34 PM EST
With less than 22 hours to go before the trade deadline, Ubaldo Jimenez is in San Diego and ready to make his start Saturday night for the Rockies.
YES Network’s Jack Curry and SI.com’s Jon Heyman are both reporting that the Rockies are asking for catcher Jesus Montero, right-hander Dellin Betances and right-hander Ivan Nova from the Yankees for Jimenez. It’s down from the original request, which included top pitching prospect Manny Banuelos, but it still sounds as though the Yankees aren’t interested in giving up both Montero and Betances in the same deal.
ESPN’s Buster Olney says rival executives believe the Indians have the best chance of getting a deal done with the Rockies. They’re believed to have top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz in their offer.
The Tigers, on the other hand, may be out of the mix, even though they dangled their No. 1 pitching prospect, Jacob Turner. The 20-year-old Turner made his major league debut Saturday, allowing two runs and three hits in 5 1/3 innings against the Angels.
There’s also been word that the Red Sox haven’t been in touch with the Rockies since Thursday. They may be more focused on Hiroki Kuroda at the moment.
So, we’ll see what happens tonight. If Jimenez is lights out, the Yankees or Indians might be more inclined to meet the Rockies’ steep asking price.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)