Jul 31, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Obviously not. The Padres have traded Mike Adams to the Rangers for left-hander Robbie Erlin and right-hander Joe Wieland.
We know San Diego is about to shed Ryan Ludwick, but that’s likely to bring back a minimal return, probably from the Indians. There hasn’t been anything hot and heavy on the bigger bait — Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Aaron Harang— with less than two hours left to go.
The Rangers likely took themselves out of the mix for both relievers by picking up Koji Uehara on Saturday, and the Angels have only minimal interest in Bell, a source told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
It looks like the Cardinals and Phillies may be the best hope for the Padres to salvage the trade deadline. The Cardinals are believed to be in on Bell, while the Phillies prefer Adams, who is cheaper in terms of salary and under control for 2012.
The Red Sox might also be a long shot candidate to wind up with either Bell or Adams. They wanted to address their rotation, but with Hiroki Kuroda declining to waive his no-trade and a Rich Harden trade falling through, they may try to bolster their pen instead.
As for Harang, it appears that the Padres are going to take their chances on re-signing him as a free eagent this winter. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he’s unlikely to be moved.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 34
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 39
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)