Jul 31, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Obviously not. The Padres have traded Mike Adams to the Rangers for left-hander Robbie Erlin and right-hander Joe Wieland.
We know San Diego is about to shed Ryan Ludwick, but that’s likely to bring back a minimal return, probably from the Indians. There hasn’t been anything hot and heavy on the bigger bait — Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Aaron Harang– with less than two hours left to go.
The Rangers likely took themselves out of the mix for both relievers by picking up Koji Uehara on Saturday, and the Angels have only minimal interest in Bell, a source told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
It looks like the Cardinals and Phillies may be the best hope for the Padres to salvage the trade deadline. The Cardinals are believed to be in on Bell, while the Phillies prefer Adams, who is cheaper in terms of salary and under control for 2012.
The Red Sox might also be a long shot candidate to wind up with either Bell or Adams. They wanted to address their rotation, but with Hiroki Kuroda declining to waive his no-trade and a Rich Harden trade falling through, they may try to bolster their pen instead.
As for Harang, it appears that the Padres are going to take their chances on re-signing him as a free eagent this winter. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he’s unlikely to be moved.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)