Jul 31, 2011, 2:17 PM EST
UPDATE: Obviously not. The Padres have traded Mike Adams to the Rangers for left-hander Robbie Erlin and right-hander Joe Wieland.
We know San Diego is about to shed Ryan Ludwick, but that’s likely to bring back a minimal return, probably from the Indians. There hasn’t been anything hot and heavy on the bigger bait — Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Aaron Harang– with less than two hours left to go.
The Rangers likely took themselves out of the mix for both relievers by picking up Koji Uehara on Saturday, and the Angels have only minimal interest in Bell, a source told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
It looks like the Cardinals and Phillies may be the best hope for the Padres to salvage the trade deadline. The Cardinals are believed to be in on Bell, while the Phillies prefer Adams, who is cheaper in terms of salary and under control for 2012.
The Red Sox might also be a long shot candidate to wind up with either Bell or Adams. They wanted to address their rotation, but with Hiroki Kuroda declining to waive his no-trade and a Rich Harden trade falling through, they may try to bolster their pen instead.
As for Harang, it appears that the Padres are going to take their chances on re-signing him as a free eagent this winter. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he’s unlikely to be moved.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (167)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)