Jul 31, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Obviously not. The Padres have traded Mike Adams to the Rangers for left-hander Robbie Erlin and right-hander Joe Wieland.
We know San Diego is about to shed Ryan Ludwick, but that’s likely to bring back a minimal return, probably from the Indians. There hasn’t been anything hot and heavy on the bigger bait — Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Aaron Harang– with less than two hours left to go.
The Rangers likely took themselves out of the mix for both relievers by picking up Koji Uehara on Saturday, and the Angels have only minimal interest in Bell, a source told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
It looks like the Cardinals and Phillies may be the best hope for the Padres to salvage the trade deadline. The Cardinals are believed to be in on Bell, while the Phillies prefer Adams, who is cheaper in terms of salary and under control for 2012.
The Red Sox might also be a long shot candidate to wind up with either Bell or Adams. They wanted to address their rotation, but with Hiroki Kuroda declining to waive his no-trade and a Rich Harden trade falling through, they may try to bolster their pen instead.
As for Harang, it appears that the Padres are going to take their chances on re-signing him as a free eagent this winter. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he’s unlikely to be moved.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)