Jul 31, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: Obviously not. The Padres have traded Mike Adams to the Rangers for left-hander Robbie Erlin and right-hander Joe Wieland.
We know San Diego is about to shed Ryan Ludwick, but that’s likely to bring back a minimal return, probably from the Indians. There hasn’t been anything hot and heavy on the bigger bait — Heath Bell, Mike Adams and Aaron Harang— with less than two hours left to go.
The Rangers likely took themselves out of the mix for both relievers by picking up Koji Uehara on Saturday, and the Angels have only minimal interest in Bell, a source told FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
It looks like the Cardinals and Phillies may be the best hope for the Padres to salvage the trade deadline. The Cardinals are believed to be in on Bell, while the Phillies prefer Adams, who is cheaper in terms of salary and under control for 2012.
The Red Sox might also be a long shot candidate to wind up with either Bell or Adams. They wanted to address their rotation, but with Hiroki Kuroda declining to waive his no-trade and a Rich Harden trade falling through, they may try to bolster their pen instead.
As for Harang, it appears that the Padres are going to take their chances on re-signing him as a free eagent this winter. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal said he’s unlikely to be moved.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 63
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 67
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)