Jul 31, 2011, 3:59 PM EDT
3:59 p.m. EDT update: Ken Rosenthal said on MLB Network that Upton won’t be traded. He’s not a candidate to clear waivers, so it looks like he’ll finish the year in Tampa Bay.
Things could still change, but with a little less than two hours remaining before the trade deadline, Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that center fielder B.J. Upton is in the Rays’ starting lineup this afternoon against the Mariners.
Upton has been mentioned constantly in trade rumors over the past couple of weeks, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that some front office people are beginning to think that he’ll stay with the Rays through the deadline. It makes sense, since the Braves, Phillies and Giants are now out of the mix.
The Nationals, Reds, Indians and Pirates have also expressed interest in the 26-year-old recently, so it’s still possible that something could get done. However, it’s looking more and more likely that the Rays could decide to shop him this winter.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)