Jul 31, 2011, 3:59 PM EST
3:59 p.m. EDT update: Ken Rosenthal said on MLB Network that Upton won’t be traded. He’s not a candidate to clear waivers, so it looks like he’ll finish the year in Tampa Bay.
Things could still change, but with a little less than two hours remaining before the trade deadline, Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that center fielder B.J. Upton is in the Rays’ starting lineup this afternoon against the Mariners.
Upton has been mentioned constantly in trade rumors over the past couple of weeks, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that some front office people are beginning to think that he’ll stay with the Rays through the deadline. It makes sense, since the Braves, Phillies and Giants are now out of the mix.
The Nationals, Reds, Indians and Pirates have also expressed interest in the 26-year-old recently, so it’s still possible that something could get done. However, it’s looking more and more likely that the Rays could decide to shop him this winter.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)