Jul 31, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
3:57 p.m. EDT update: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that the Marlins have held on to Nunez, Infante and everyone else.
It looks like the Marlins weren’t kidding: they’re telling suitors that closer Leo Nunez won’t be traded prior to the 4 p.m. EDT deadline, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.
The Marlins are expected to largely take a pass on the deadline as they try to gear up for a run when their new stadium opens next year. Free-agent-to-be Omar Infante could be available, but the Marlins have resisted all inquiries on Nunez, Ricky Nolasco and Anibal Sanchez.
With a career 4.25 ERA and a 3.40 mark this year, Nunez is definitely a step down from the elite closers. He also projects as one of the Marlins’ most expensive players next year, as his salary should jump from $3.65 million to at least $6 million in his final year of arbitration. Still, the Marlins have decided to hold on, in part because they don’t feel they have anyone ready to replace him in the closer’s role. Edward Mujica would likely take over for the short-term if the Marlins change their minds.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)