Jul 31, 2011, 3:57 PM EST
3:57 p.m. EDT update: Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald is reporting that the Marlins have held on to Nunez, Infante and everyone else.
It looks like the Marlins weren’t kidding: they’re telling suitors that closer Leo Nunez won’t be traded prior to the 4 p.m. EDT deadline, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.
The Marlins are expected to largely take a pass on the deadline as they try to gear up for a run when their new stadium opens next year. Free-agent-to-be Omar Infante could be available, but the Marlins have resisted all inquiries on Nunez, Ricky Nolasco and Anibal Sanchez.
With a career 4.25 ERA and a 3.40 mark this year, Nunez is definitely a step down from the elite closers. He also projects as one of the Marlins’ most expensive players next year, as his salary should jump from $3.65 million to at least $6 million in his final year of arbitration. Still, the Marlins have decided to hold on, in part because they don’t feel they have anyone ready to replace him in the closer’s role. Edward Mujica would likely take over for the short-term if the Marlins change their minds.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)