Jul 31, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Watching your team acquire Orlando Cabrera because they think he’s a better shortstop option than you can be tough on a person, but Miguel Tejada chose an interesting way to vent that frustration this morning: He lashed out at the media.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle described the scene in the clubhouse:
Across the clubhouse, Miguel Tejada was fuming, but not that the team traded for another shortstop. He was angry with San Francisco reporters for questioning his defense. Apparently there are no mirrors in Cincinnati for him to look into.
“All the reporters in San Francisco forget who I am,” Tejada said. “All the reporters put in the paper that I don’t have range in this game. I’ll prove it. I don’t pay attention to what reporters say. All I do is work hard. If they want me here, fine. If they don’t, I don’t really worry about it. I just try to do my job.”
If “all the reporters in San Francisco” didn’t write about Tejada’s lack of range at shortstop they ought to have been fired, because it was obvious to anyone who’s watched Giants games this season and has been true for several years. Bruce Bochy moved Tejada from shortstop to third base because it was obvious to the manager as well.
And that’s no great sin by Tejada. Even the best shortstops rarely have the range to remain defensive assets there at age 37 and Tejada was never an elite defender to begin with. General manager Brian Sabean is the person to blame for thinking Tejada could handle the position, although certainly Tejada’s inability to come to grips with his diminished defensive skills is sort of sad.
Tejada is on the disabled list right now with an abdominal strain and based on Schulman’s report it sure sounds like the Giants are in no rush to get him back on the active roster.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)