Miguel Tejada lashes out at San Francisco media for writing about his terrible defense

Jul 31, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT

Miguel Tejada

Watching your team acquire Orlando Cabrera because they think he’s a better shortstop option than you can be tough on a person, but Miguel Tejada chose an interesting way to vent that frustration this morning: He lashed out at the media.

Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle described the scene in the clubhouse:

Across the clubhouse, Miguel Tejada was fuming, but not that the team traded for another shortstop. He was angry with San Francisco reporters for questioning his defense. Apparently there are no mirrors in Cincinnati for him to look into.

“All the reporters in San Francisco forget who I am,” Tejada said. “All the reporters put in the paper that I don’t have range in this game. I’ll prove it. I don’t pay attention to what reporters say. All I do is work hard. If they want me here, fine. If they don’t, I don’t really worry about it. I just try to do my job.”

If “all the reporters in San Francisco” didn’t write about Tejada’s lack of range at shortstop they ought to have been fired, because it was obvious to anyone who’s watched Giants games this season and has been true for several years. Bruce Bochy moved Tejada from shortstop to third base because it was obvious to the manager as well.

And that’s no great sin by Tejada. Even the best shortstops rarely have the range to remain defensive assets there at age 37 and Tejada was never an elite defender to begin with. General manager Brian Sabean is the person to blame for thinking Tejada could handle the position, although certainly Tejada’s inability to come to grips with his diminished defensive skills is sort of sad.

Tejada is on the disabled list right now with an abdominal strain and based on Schulman’s report it sure sounds like the Giants are in no rush to get him back on the active roster.

1. JBerardi - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I still don’t fully accept that Brian Sabean has a World Series ring.

2. mcchef - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:44 PM

How dare anyone question the lack of range and rapid deterioration of skills of an aging shortsop! It just doesn’t happen….

3. ohkhan - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:48 PM

roid rage

4. nomoreseasontix - Jul 31, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Those damned reporters. Next thing you know they’ll be writing about his uncanny ability to hit ground balls to infielders.
    The guy once had some skills, but he’s always been as dumb as a bag of hair.

5. skerney - Jul 31, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Coming from a man who stood up and walked out of a live interview when he realized he had admitted lying about his age his entire career.

6. nomoreseasontix - Aug 1, 2011 at 12:33 AM

During one game when he was with the A’s, I watched as he made a real nice play on a ball to his right. Spun and rifled the ball into right center. The second baseman wasn’t covering. There was no runner on first.
    Miggy was always a genius….

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto