Jul 31, 2011, 1:31 PM EDT
Watching your team acquire Orlando Cabrera because they think he’s a better shortstop option than you can be tough on a person, but Miguel Tejada chose an interesting way to vent that frustration this morning: He lashed out at the media.
Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle described the scene in the clubhouse:
Across the clubhouse, Miguel Tejada was fuming, but not that the team traded for another shortstop. He was angry with San Francisco reporters for questioning his defense. Apparently there are no mirrors in Cincinnati for him to look into.
“All the reporters in San Francisco forget who I am,” Tejada said. “All the reporters put in the paper that I don’t have range in this game. I’ll prove it. I don’t pay attention to what reporters say. All I do is work hard. If they want me here, fine. If they don’t, I don’t really worry about it. I just try to do my job.”
If “all the reporters in San Francisco” didn’t write about Tejada’s lack of range at shortstop they ought to have been fired, because it was obvious to anyone who’s watched Giants games this season and has been true for several years. Bruce Bochy moved Tejada from shortstop to third base because it was obvious to the manager as well.
And that’s no great sin by Tejada. Even the best shortstops rarely have the range to remain defensive assets there at age 37 and Tejada was never an elite defender to begin with. General manager Brian Sabean is the person to blame for thinking Tejada could handle the position, although certainly Tejada’s inability to come to grips with his diminished defensive skills is sort of sad.
Tejada is on the disabled list right now with an abdominal strain and based on Schulman’s report it sure sounds like the Giants are in no rush to get him back on the active roster.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)