Jul 31, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Ryan Ludwick was reportedly close to being traded to the Indians earlier this afternoon, but instead the Pirates have swooped in at the last minute to acquire the outfielder from the Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
It’s tough to pass any sort of judgment on the trade without knowing the PTBNL’s identity, although the “or cash considerations” part certainly suggests it won’t be a noteworthy prospect heading San Diego’s way.
Even if the price tag was low the Pirates are betting on Ludwick turning things around following an extremely unproductive 160-game stretch with the Padres in which he hit just .228 with a .301 on-base percentage and .358 slugging percentage after being acquired from the Cardinals in the middle of last season.
In addition to Ludwick the Pirates also added another veteran right-handed hitter in Derrek Lee, who’s also struggled this year with a .246 batting average and .706 OPS in 85 games for the Orioles. So while the Pirates have brought in some experienced reinforcements for their first taste of contention in a long time, they did so without giving up any significant long-term building blocks and bet on second-half turnarounds instead.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)