Jul 31, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
Ryan Ludwick was reportedly close to being traded to the Indians earlier this afternoon, but instead the Pirates have swooped in at the last minute to acquire the outfielder from the Padres for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
It’s tough to pass any sort of judgment on the trade without knowing the PTBNL’s identity, although the “or cash considerations” part certainly suggests it won’t be a noteworthy prospect heading San Diego’s way.
Even if the price tag was low the Pirates are betting on Ludwick turning things around following an extremely unproductive 160-game stretch with the Padres in which he hit just .228 with a .301 on-base percentage and .358 slugging percentage after being acquired from the Cardinals in the middle of last season.
In addition to Ludwick the Pirates also added another veteran right-handed hitter in Derrek Lee, who’s also struggled this year with a .246 batting average and .706 OPS in 85 games for the Orioles. So while the Pirates have brought in some experienced reinforcements for their first taste of contention in a long time, they did so without giving up any significant long-term building blocks and bet on second-half turnarounds instead.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 46
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 98
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)