Jul 31, 2011, 12:10 PM EDT
Of course, it couldn’t have been all that private if a newspaper reporter knows about it.
Biertempfel notes that Hunter Pence took a late-night flight across the country to be in the Phillies’ lineup as soon as possible, whereas Lee only has to travel from New York (where the Orioles are playing the Yankees) to Philadelphia (where the Pirates are playing the Phillies).
And since Lee hasn’t arrived yet, the Pirates are giving Lyle Overbay what could be his final start at first base this afternoon.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)