Jul 31, 2011, 1:27 AM EDT
Well, this sure is odd.
It was reported late Saturday night that Harden was headed to the Red Sox in exchange for first base prospect Lars Anderson and a player to be named later, but the agreement was never fully finalized and Harden told the Oakland press moments ago that he is now expecting to make his scheduled Tuesday start for the Athletics.
Perhaps talks will get going again on Sunday morning, but for now the deal has been scrapped.
Harden, 29, has posted a strong 30/10 K/BB ratio and 1.16 WHIP in 29 1/3 innings since making his 2011 debut in early July. He’s on a one-year contract, which is why the A’s have been motivated to move him.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)