Jul 31, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
This one came in just as the clock struck four, which is midnight for trade deadline purposes: Erik Bedard from Seattle to the Red Sox. The Dodgers are involved too.
Here’s how it works: Boston is getting Bedard and Josh Fields from Seattle. The Sox are then sending minor league catcher Tim Federowicz, righty Juan Rodriguez and right-hander Stephen Fife to the Dodgers. Outfielder Trayvon Robinson is going from the Dodgers to the Mariners. Outfielder Chih Hsien Chiang is going from the Red Sox to the Mariners.
Got that? If so, good, you’re better than me, because some of those minor leaguer movements may be wrong. There are at least three different reporters saying three different things with respect to where everyone is going. We’ll clarify that as we can, but the key thing for now is that Bedard is going to Boston.
And, compared to taking on Rich Harden, that’s a better deal. Bedard is still fraglie, but not as fragile as Harden. If he can remain healthy, however, he remains capable of solid performance for the stretch run.
The big question I have here is why in the wide world of sports the Dodgers were in on this deal, and why they gave up Trayvon Robinson, who looks to be a stud prospect. Playing center field for Albuquerque, Robinson is hitting .293/.375/.563. Yes, that’s a hitter-friendly environment, but he looks to be big league ready or close to it.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)