Jul 31, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
This one came in just as the clock struck four, which is midnight for trade deadline purposes: Erik Bedard from Seattle to the Red Sox. The Dodgers are involved too.
Here’s how it works: Boston is getting Bedard and Josh Fields from Seattle. The Sox are then sending minor league catcher Tim Federowicz, righty Juan Rodriguez and right-hander Stephen Fife to the Dodgers. Outfielder Trayvon Robinson is going from the Dodgers to the Mariners. Outfielder Chih Hsien Chiang is going from the Red Sox to the Mariners.
Got that? If so, good, you’re better than me, because some of those minor leaguer movements may be wrong. There are at least three different reporters saying three different things with respect to where everyone is going. We’ll clarify that as we can, but the key thing for now is that Bedard is going to Boston.
And, compared to taking on Rich Harden, that’s a better deal. Bedard is still fraglie, but not as fragile as Harden. If he can remain healthy, however, he remains capable of solid performance for the stretch run.
The big question I have here is why in the wide world of sports the Dodgers were in on this deal, and why they gave up Trayvon Robinson, who looks to be a stud prospect. Playing center field for Albuquerque, Robinson is hitting .293/.375/.563. Yes, that’s a hitter-friendly environment, but he looks to be big league ready or close to it.
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 11
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 34
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 61
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)