Jul 31, 2011, 4:32 PM EST
This one came in just as the clock struck four, which is midnight for trade deadline purposes: Erik Bedard from Seattle to the Red Sox. The Dodgers are involved too.
Here’s how it works: Boston is getting Bedard and Josh Fields from Seattle. The Sox are then sending minor league catcher Tim Federowicz, righty Juan Rodriguez and right-hander Stephen Fife to the Dodgers. Outfielder Trayvon Robinson is going from the Dodgers to the Mariners. Outfielder Chih Hsien Chiang is going from the Red Sox to the Mariners.
Got that? If so, good, you’re better than me, because some of those minor leaguer movements may be wrong. There are at least three different reporters saying three different things with respect to where everyone is going. We’ll clarify that as we can, but the key thing for now is that Bedard is going to Boston.
And, compared to taking on Rich Harden, that’s a better deal. Bedard is still fraglie, but not as fragile as Harden. If he can remain healthy, however, he remains capable of solid performance for the stretch run.
The big question I have here is why in the wide world of sports the Dodgers were in on this deal, and why they gave up Trayvon Robinson, who looks to be a stud prospect. Playing center field for Albuquerque, Robinson is hitting .293/.375/.563. Yes, that’s a hitter-friendly environment, but he looks to be big league ready or close to it.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 33
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)