Jul 31, 2011, 4:32 PM EDT
This one came in just as the clock struck four, which is midnight for trade deadline purposes: Erik Bedard from Seattle to the Red Sox. The Dodgers are involved too.
Here’s how it works: Boston is getting Bedard and Josh Fields from Seattle. The Sox are then sending minor league catcher Tim Federowicz, righty Juan Rodriguez and right-hander Stephen Fife to the Dodgers. Outfielder Trayvon Robinson is going from the Dodgers to the Mariners. Outfielder Chih Hsien Chiang is going from the Red Sox to the Mariners.
Got that? If so, good, you’re better than me, because some of those minor leaguer movements may be wrong. There are at least three different reporters saying three different things with respect to where everyone is going. We’ll clarify that as we can, but the key thing for now is that Bedard is going to Boston.
And, compared to taking on Rich Harden, that’s a better deal. Bedard is still fraglie, but not as fragile as Harden. If he can remain healthy, however, he remains capable of solid performance for the stretch run.
The big question I have here is why in the wide world of sports the Dodgers were in on this deal, and why they gave up Trayvon Robinson, who looks to be a stud prospect. Playing center field for Albuquerque, Robinson is hitting .293/.375/.563. Yes, that’s a hitter-friendly environment, but he looks to be big league ready or close to it.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)