Jul 31, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
The move suggests that the Diamondbacks will be calling up Paul Goldschmidt to take over as their primary first baeman. Allen was filling the role of late and was hitting .172/.351/.483 with three homers and seven RBI in 29 at-bats.
1:05 p.m. EDT update: USATODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that a deal has been agreed to between the Diamondbacks and A’s, pending a review of Ziegler’s medical records.
The A’s haven’t ruled out trading any of their veteran relievers, but Ziegler would probably be the second most expensive to acquire, behind only closer Andrew Bailey. Ziegler has a 2.39 ERA in 37 2/3 innings this season, and right-handers have hit just .198 against him.
Ziegler is strictly a matchup guy: with his sidearm delivery, left-handers have torched him for a .398 average. However, he’s yet to give up a homer to either righties or lefties this season. Also, he’s under control through 2014.
Rosenthal says that a Ziegler trade may end up being the only one the A’s make. They also have Rich Harden, Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, David DeJesus and a bunch of other relievers available, but nothing has gotten done for any of them.
Update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser chimes in with the news that the A’s asked about Diamondbacks outfield prospect Collin Cowgill last week. The 25-year-old hit .354/.430/.554 with 13 homers in 395 at-bats for Triple-A Reno this season.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)