Jul 31, 2011, 1:08 PM EST
The move suggests that the Diamondbacks will be calling up Paul Goldschmidt to take over as their primary first baeman. Allen was filling the role of late and was hitting .172/.351/.483 with three homers and seven RBI in 29 at-bats.
1:05 p.m. EDT update: USATODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that a deal has been agreed to between the Diamondbacks and A’s, pending a review of Ziegler’s medical records.
The A’s haven’t ruled out trading any of their veteran relievers, but Ziegler would probably be the second most expensive to acquire, behind only closer Andrew Bailey. Ziegler has a 2.39 ERA in 37 2/3 innings this season, and right-handers have hit just .198 against him.
Ziegler is strictly a matchup guy: with his sidearm delivery, left-handers have torched him for a .398 average. However, he’s yet to give up a homer to either righties or lefties this season. Also, he’s under control through 2014.
Rosenthal says that a Ziegler trade may end up being the only one the A’s make. They also have Rich Harden, Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, David DeJesus and a bunch of other relievers available, but nothing has gotten done for any of them.
Update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser chimes in with the news that the A’s asked about Diamondbacks outfield prospect Collin Cowgill last week. The 25-year-old hit .354/.430/.554 with 13 homers in 395 at-bats for Triple-A Reno this season.
- David Ortiz and Robinson Cano give their Super Bowl XLIX predictions 6
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 8
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 106
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (106)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)