Jul 31, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
The move suggests that the Diamondbacks will be calling up Paul Goldschmidt to take over as their primary first baeman. Allen was filling the role of late and was hitting .172/.351/.483 with three homers and seven RBI in 29 at-bats.
1:05 p.m. EDT update: USATODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that a deal has been agreed to between the Diamondbacks and A’s, pending a review of Ziegler’s medical records.
The A’s haven’t ruled out trading any of their veteran relievers, but Ziegler would probably be the second most expensive to acquire, behind only closer Andrew Bailey. Ziegler has a 2.39 ERA in 37 2/3 innings this season, and right-handers have hit just .198 against him.
Ziegler is strictly a matchup guy: with his sidearm delivery, left-handers have torched him for a .398 average. However, he’s yet to give up a homer to either righties or lefties this season. Also, he’s under control through 2014.
Rosenthal says that a Ziegler trade may end up being the only one the A’s make. They also have Rich Harden, Josh Willingham, Coco Crisp, David DeJesus and a bunch of other relievers available, but nothing has gotten done for any of them.
Update: The San Francisco Chronicle’s Susan Slusser chimes in with the news that the A’s asked about Diamondbacks outfield prospect Collin Cowgill last week. The 25-year-old hit .354/.430/.554 with 13 homers in 395 at-bats for Triple-A Reno this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 115
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (156)