Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 AM EST
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the two sides are “discussing” a deal and “the ball is in the Cardinals’ court.”
St. Louis has a full rotation with Jackson joining Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Jake Westbrook, and Kyle Lohse, although Westbrook has a 4.86 ERA that ranks 56th among the 62 National League pitchers with at least 100 innings and Lohse has a 5.53 ERA in five June starts.
And presumably the asking price on Bedard is pretty reasonable at this point, especially after he failed to make it out of the second inning in Friday’s “showcase” start against the weak-hitting Rays. By trading Colby Rasmus the Cardinals made it very clear that they’re willing to sacrifice long-term value for what they perceive to be short-term improvements and picking up even more rotation depth in Bedard would fit that approach.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)