Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the two sides are “discussing” a deal and “the ball is in the Cardinals’ court.”
St. Louis has a full rotation with Jackson joining Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Jake Westbrook, and Kyle Lohse, although Westbrook has a 4.86 ERA that ranks 56th among the 62 National League pitchers with at least 100 innings and Lohse has a 5.53 ERA in five June starts.
And presumably the asking price on Bedard is pretty reasonable at this point, especially after he failed to make it out of the second inning in Friday’s “showcase” start against the weak-hitting Rays. By trading Colby Rasmus the Cardinals made it very clear that they’re willing to sacrifice long-term value for what they perceive to be short-term improvements and picking up even more rotation depth in Bedard would fit that approach.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)