Jul 31, 2011, 10:55 AM EDT
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the two sides are “discussing” a deal and “the ball is in the Cardinals’ court.”
St. Louis has a full rotation with Jackson joining Chris Carpenter, Jaime Garcia, Jake Westbrook, and Kyle Lohse, although Westbrook has a 4.86 ERA that ranks 56th among the 62 National League pitchers with at least 100 innings and Lohse has a 5.53 ERA in five June starts.
And presumably the asking price on Bedard is pretty reasonable at this point, especially after he failed to make it out of the second inning in Friday’s “showcase” start against the weak-hitting Rays. By trading Colby Rasmus the Cardinals made it very clear that they’re willing to sacrifice long-term value for what they perceive to be short-term improvements and picking up even more rotation depth in Bedard would fit that approach.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)