Jul 31, 2011, 12:06 PM EST
Update: Nevermind that, apparently. Kilgore just tweeted that he received some bad information and that no Coffey deal is imminent.
This probably isn’t the trade for a center fielder the Nats have been aiming for, but the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore hears that the Nationals are about to deal Todd Coffey.
Coffey, 30, was signed as a free agent over the winter after posting a 4.76 ERA in 62 1/3 innings for the Brewers last season. He has a 3.92 ERA and a 33/17 K/BB ratio in 41 1/3 innings this season. Coffey enjoyed his best year in 2009, posting a 2.90 ERA and striking out a career-best 65 batters in 82 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.
According to Kilgore, the Nats are calling up Atahualupa Severino to replace him in the bullpen.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 6
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 38
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 31
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)