Jul 31, 2011, 12:06 PM EST
Update: Nevermind that, apparently. Kilgore just tweeted that he received some bad information and that no Coffey deal is imminent.
This probably isn’t the trade for a center fielder the Nats have been aiming for, but the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore hears that the Nationals are about to deal Todd Coffey.
Coffey, 30, was signed as a free agent over the winter after posting a 4.76 ERA in 62 1/3 innings for the Brewers last season. He has a 3.92 ERA and a 33/17 K/BB ratio in 41 1/3 innings this season. Coffey enjoyed his best year in 2009, posting a 2.90 ERA and striking out a career-best 65 batters in 82 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.
According to Kilgore, the Nats are calling up Atahualupa Severino to replace him in the bullpen.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)