Jul 31, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Update: Nevermind that, apparently. Kilgore just tweeted that he received some bad information and that no Coffey deal is imminent.
This probably isn’t the trade for a center fielder the Nats have been aiming for, but the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore hears that the Nationals are about to deal Todd Coffey.
Coffey, 30, was signed as a free agent over the winter after posting a 4.76 ERA in 62 1/3 innings for the Brewers last season. He has a 3.92 ERA and a 33/17 K/BB ratio in 41 1/3 innings this season. Coffey enjoyed his best year in 2009, posting a 2.90 ERA and striking out a career-best 65 batters in 82 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.
According to Kilgore, the Nats are calling up Atahualupa Severino to replace him in the bullpen.
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 24
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 5
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 10
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 11
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 20
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)