Jul 31, 2011, 12:06 PM EDT
Update: Nevermind that, apparently. Kilgore just tweeted that he received some bad information and that no Coffey deal is imminent.
This probably isn’t the trade for a center fielder the Nats have been aiming for, but the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore hears that the Nationals are about to deal Todd Coffey.
Coffey, 30, was signed as a free agent over the winter after posting a 4.76 ERA in 62 1/3 innings for the Brewers last season. He has a 3.92 ERA and a 33/17 K/BB ratio in 41 1/3 innings this season. Coffey enjoyed his best year in 2009, posting a 2.90 ERA and striking out a career-best 65 batters in 82 2/3 innings for Milwaukee.
According to Kilgore, the Nats are calling up Atahualupa Severino to replace him in the bullpen.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)