Settling the Score: Saturday’s results

Jul 31, 2011, 5:34 AM EDT

Hunter Pence AP

Major League Baseball’s non-waiver trade deadline is at 4 p.m. ET today. We’ll have coverage and reaction on all of the latest transactions. But first, a look at last night’s on-field results.

Your Saturday box scores:

Orioles 3, Yankees 8 (Game 1)

Cubs 5, Cardinals 13

Rangers 3, Blue Jays 0

Mets 0, Nationals 3

Angels 5, Tigers 1

Pirates 4, Phillies 7

Rays 2, Mariners 3

Astros 2, Brewers 6

Royals 2, Indians 5

Orioles 3, Yankees 17 (Game 2)

Marlins 1, Braves 5

Giants 2, Reds 7

Red Sox 10, White Sox 2

Rockies 10, Padres 6

Twins 3, Athletics 8

Diamondbacks 6, Dodgers 4

1. uyf1950 - Jul 31, 2011 at 5:50 AM

WOW, that’s about all I can say for the Yankees 2nd game production and results.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 31, 2011 at 6:43 AM

I realize that you were half asleep when you did this Drew. The Rangers won by 3 to 0 over the Jays. The 9 to 4 numbers you showed came from the hits column. I have made more than my fair share of typos here, so I know how easy it is to make typos.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 7:31 AM

At least they have the ability to edit their content to fix the typos…while we are just left to look like fools. I wonder if there would be any way to remedy that situation….oh wait, how about an edit function.

• paperlions - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Wouldn’t help….we’d still look like fools.

• Drew Silva - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Thanks.

• spudchukar - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:53 AM

We are fools so it is appropriate.

3. halladaysbiceps - Jul 31, 2011 at 7:44 AM

What an emotional game for the Phillies yesterday. The crowd in Philly warmed up to Hunter Pence immediately and gave him a huge ovation. Pence went 1-5 with an RBI in his debut. Should have been 2-5 if not for a blown call a first base on an infield single in the first.

Cliff Lee struck out 11 in 7.2 innings but did give up 4 runs. I’ve said it before, when Lee is on, he unhittable. But, when he loses that pinpoint command at times he can get lit up just as easy as any other pitcher. Howard was a beast at the plate, going 4-4 with a homer and 3 rbi’s. Is this a product of finally having a guy like Pence batting 5th or just an abberation? We shall see.

Today, Vance pitches against Karstens for the series sweep. Should be a good one.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:15 AM

If discounting last nights game, Howard has been swinging the bat much much better recently. I think he was only 1 for his last 12, but there have been signs since the Padres series that he is ready to really get hot. As you know, teams play that ridiculous shift on Howard. Yet the pitch him away. When he is going bad and trying to do too much, he tries to yank everything and subsequently hits the ball directly into the shift. It seems like somebody got through to him and said, hey just go with the outside pitch and it will more than likely be a hit. Since he has been doing that, he has had much more consistent at bats and looks like a much more competent hitter. The addition of Pence has a two fold effect in my opinion. The ability to move Victorino to the two hole is a bid deal to me. He is a high on base and extra base guy with great speed. Not a natural base stealer, but more than competent. Thus, Howard has a greater chance of coming to the plate with guys in the stretch and in scoring position. He has always seemed to fair better with RISP, particularly a guy on 2nd. Second thing the addition of Pence does is help Howard psychologically. Howard has always been better when he is more selective at the plate. Having confidence in those behind him should allow that to occur.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:15 AM

The first word should have been “even” not “if”

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:27 AM

Good analysis with Howard. I agree. Having the confidence in Pence behind him should make him more selective at the plate, just like having Werth behind him in the past.

Well, Doctor, the trade deadline is @ 4:00PM today. Care to speculate who the Phils may pick up today?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I have a suspicion that they will add a relief pitcher today. I don’t think it will be any of the bigger names like Adams or Bell. I find it odd that they sent Carpenter down yesterday leaving them a guy short in the bullpen. Particularly during a stretch when the play 20 straight games. Granted Carpenter is terrible, but it seems an odd time to go a man short out there especially with Lidge on a shortened work load for the time being. Other than that maybe a move for Giambi but I doubt it. I doubt Thome as well. They could use a utility infielder with some pop as well. I will look into it when I get to work.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Unless it is giving up VERY MINOR prospects, I think the bullpen is fine. Stutes, Bastid, and Madson are pretty solid. And once the playoffs start how much will the pen really pitch with Doc, Lee, and hamels throwing?

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Yeah. I think their bullpen should be fine. Just checked mlbtraderumors.com. No Phillies talk going on at all since 5:30PM yesterday. Brief mention of the Phillies kicking the tires on Heath Bell.

All is quiet so far.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I agree with you Chris. I don’t think they need to add a bullpen arm at all. I’m just saying I find it odd that they are going short in the bullpen at this time. I guess they could be going short until Oswalt is activated next weekend and KK slides back to long relief.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I sincerely doubt Bell is on their radar at this point. Maybe Adams if they could get him on the cheap, but I’m sure the Padres want a good package or a high end prospect for him. I will say this, whatever the Phillies do today even if it is just a minor league transaction, I hope they deal Mike Rizzotti. The guy has no future in the Phillies organization and won’t ever be Rule 5′d. I’d like to see the guy at least have a fighting chance to make it to the big leagues and it just won’t happen in Philadelphia.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Forgot to mention, I also read yesterday that Kerry Wood vetoed a trade to the Phillies. Another reason why I think a reliever might be added today.

• spudchukar - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Why is the shift ridiculous?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

It is a smart play by the opposing team. It is ridiculous insofar that he continually hits into it.

4. gmsingh - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:29 AM

The “hard slide” that Matt Holliday did to take out Starlin Castro in the Cub-Cards game was one of the dirtiest plays I’ve seen in baseball in years. Umpiring, and Major League Baseball in general, has really turned into a pile of crap since the “steroid era”. If people don’t wake up and realize that Bud Selig is the worst thing to happen in baseball in its history it will be years before the game has the credibility it used to have.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 31, 2011 at 8:49 AM

I thought it was a dirty slide too. I don’t know about dirtiest I’ve seen in years though. Morgan had a collision at the plate last season that was really dirty too. Also, Carasco threw at that guys head yesterday.

5. Old Gator - Jul 31, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Craig’s rumor about a possible restoration of Omar Infante to the Bravos is about the only interesting thing happening with the Feesh today, and probably will prove to be for the rest of the season. This was the series in which the Teal Terrors were supposed to have show that they could climb back into, if not contention, than into meaningful competition of some sort this season, and in terms of their collective effort afield you could say that they have laid whatever kind of omelet you can make from milt.

This time out, they generously provided a shaky Anibal Sanchez with his usual single run’s worth of support, only this time they provided it an inning after he had fed Dan Uggla another beachball good for three runs and given over the mound to the boolpen. Maybe Anibal should take his next turn dressed as Javy Vasquez and see if he can fool these guys into providing some run support.

The strange attractor recedes once again. Proudlycanadian, be assured that I’m keeping that fox-and-grapes metaphor on ice for you until the appropriate moment.

6. spudchukar - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Perhaps all teams should be forced into spotting the Cubs 5 runs before they come to bat, just to make the encounter “competitive”. It is difficult to get excited about a victory against the Flubs, who in years past always played us tough, even in their off years, which let’s face it was the vast majority of the time since there haven’t been many “on” years. What the hell is Hendry thinking? Do Something! Aramis Ramirez has been atrocious defensively in this series. If it is hit hard to third go for extra bases because the equally inept Soriano certainly won’t make a play.

The brooms are out but more to collect the detritus, that was a force just a few years ago.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5100)