Jul 31, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT
UPDATE: Buster Olney says that a lot of teams have called the Marlins about Infante and that, at the moment, no one is really close, including Atlanta. Upshot: the Marlins may hang on to their All-Star.
8:50 AM: Hey, if you have a chance to add a former All-Star at the deadline, you take it, right? Don’t look at me like that. Omar Infante was an All-Star last year. You can look it up.
Mark Bowman reports that the Braves are talking to the Marlins about that very thing. And given that the Feesh are in Atlanta finishing up a series today, they may not even have to pay for a flight.
While the Braves are still looking to acquire an outfield bat a la B.J. Upton, Michael Bourn or Carlos Quentin, Infante could be a nice fallback option who could help the Braves get through their current outfield depth problems brought on by injuries to Jordan Schafer and Nate McLouth. Most likely in taking over third base and allowing Martin Prado to move back to left field. Although it’s worth noting that Infante has played the same number of games in the outfield –101 — than he has played at third.
On the season Infante is hitting a paltry .264/.312/.328. But did I mention that he was an All-Star?
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)