Jul 31, 2011, 11:05 AM EST
UPDATE: ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian is now reporting that the chances of Storen/Span deal less than 50-50 and that the Nationals may pivot to B.J. Upton in their search for a center fielder. Are the Nats really that afraid to give up Drew Storen? Seems kind of nutso to me, but then again, I just work here.
9:17 AM: When last we heard of the Denard Span-to-the-Nationals negotiations, it appeared as though the hangup was that the Twins wanted Proven Closer Drew Storen, whereas the Nationals were more inclined to included Proven Setup Man Tyler Clippard.
That has changed, however, as Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Nats have agreed to give up Storen, and that the hangup on the trade right now is the other player or players the Nats would include in the deal. Perchance the Twins realized that Roger Bernadina is no good. Hard to say.
Whatever the case, this makes it appear that the second annual “Nationals trade the Twins a relief pitcher for a promising player at a key defensive position” deal is on track.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 54
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 23
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)