Jul 31, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian is now reporting that the chances of Storen/Span deal less than 50-50 and that the Nationals may pivot to B.J. Upton in their search for a center fielder. Are the Nats really that afraid to give up Drew Storen? Seems kind of nutso to me, but then again, I just work here.
9:17 AM: When last we heard of the Denard Span-to-the-Nationals negotiations, it appeared as though the hangup was that the Twins wanted Proven Closer Drew Storen, whereas the Nationals were more inclined to included Proven Setup Man Tyler Clippard.
That has changed, however, as Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Nats have agreed to give up Storen, and that the hangup on the trade right now is the other player or players the Nats would include in the deal. Perchance the Twins realized that Roger Bernadina is no good. Hard to say.
Whatever the case, this makes it appear that the second annual “Nationals trade the Twins a relief pitcher for a promising player at a key defensive position” deal is on track.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)