Jul 31, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT
UPDATE: ESPN’s Tim Kurkjian is now reporting that the chances of Storen/Span deal less than 50-50 and that the Nationals may pivot to B.J. Upton in their search for a center fielder. Are the Nats really that afraid to give up Drew Storen? Seems kind of nutso to me, but then again, I just work here.
9:17 AM: When last we heard of the Denard Span-to-the-Nationals negotiations, it appeared as though the hangup was that the Twins wanted Proven Closer Drew Storen, whereas the Nationals were more inclined to included Proven Setup Man Tyler Clippard.
That has changed, however, as Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Nats have agreed to give up Storen, and that the hangup on the trade right now is the other player or players the Nats would include in the deal. Perchance the Twins realized that Roger Bernadina is no good. Hard to say.
Whatever the case, this makes it appear that the second annual “Nationals trade the Twins a relief pitcher for a promising player at a key defensive position” deal is on track.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)