Yankees aiming to acquire Astros lefty Wandy Rodriguez

Jul 31, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates v Houston Astros Getty Images

About four hours remain until MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline. And things are really starting to heat up.

According to FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal, the Yankees are “trying for” Astros left-hander Wandy Rodriguez.

The ‘Stros have already parted with outfielders Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn, and are now trying to unload the $28 million or so that is remaining on Rodriguez’s contract.

Wandy has posted a cool 3.47 ERA and 1.295 WHIP in 19 starts this season, fanning 106 batters and walking only 38 in 122 total innings.

He’s owed $10 million next season, $13 million in 2013, and has a $13 million club option (or $2.5 million buyout) for 2014. His 2011 salary is $7 million.

UPDATE, 11:45 AM: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Astros will have to kick in “big money” in order to pull off a trade. The two sides aren’t “anywhere near a deal” at the moment.

UPDATE, 12:55 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that a Rodriguez trade is “50-50″ to get done before today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline. The Yankees are believed to be his primary suitor.

UPDATE, 2:03 PM: As SI.com’s Jon Heyman notes, Wandy is likely to pass through waivers because of his oversized contract. The Yankees could try again in August if they’re unable to swing a deal today.

UPDATE, 2:54 PM: Sherman says the Yankees’ talks for Wandy are now dead.

1. halladaysbiceps - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Ed Wade is having a fire sale. Sunday special! Everything must go!!!

Reminds me of the Crazy Eddie commercials in the 1980’s. Crazzy Eddie was the salesman that would always scream “Our prices are insane!!!”

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:11 PM

“Crazy Eddie” was not the pitch guy in the commericals- it was actually the owner Eddie Antar, who was investigated for fraud, fled to Israel, returned to the United States to stand trial, and then spent 9 yrs in prison for those charges. Although when all is said and done, the Ed Wade might be accused of fraud for the Hunter Pence trade…

2. paperlions - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I’m kind of surprised the Cardinals aren’t interested, TLR loves leftys….but the ‘Stros have been reticent to trade within the division before, trading Oswalt to Philly for less than StL was offering last year….so it may be that Houston told them not to bother because they weren’t trading him in the division.

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Hahahahahaha, if the Astros have to kick in money for a trade, that’d be hilarious.

• halladaysbiceps - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Hahahahahaha!!! Yeah. In both the Pence and Bourn deals, as well as the Oswalt trade last year, Ed Wade kicked money back to the clubs when he dealt those stars too.

I wonder if all these kickbacks of money to the teams is for his future job security with multiple teams in baseball.

Ed Wade is a joke!

• 78mu - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Wade – “I’ll kick in 10 million dollars if you hire me at a salary of 5 million next year”.

Yankees – “Are you crazy? We wouldn’t hire you at any salary. Have you looked at the trades you’ve made”?

4. housebroken dad - Jul 31, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Wow, I must be Nostradamus today or something….I predicted this in the other Bourn post earlier this morning….

5. pisano - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM

I don’t know if he’s the type of lefty the Yankees are used to getting, but he’s a lefty and that’s a plus if it comes down to Boston and the Yankees to go to the WS. Boston line up is stacked with left handed power so he’d be a plus. This will come down to who the Astro’s want in exchange.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:14 PM

I don’t think he’s a #1 or #2 ace- especially in the AL East- but he would be a nice addition to the Yankees especially if they don’t have to give up too much.

• uyf1950 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:23 PM

pisano, my friend. I think if the Yankees can pull it off with as deathmonkey says without giving up to much I say go for it. He certainly would be a welcome addition. Like you said a lefty is certainly a plus at Yankees stadium. He may not be a 1 or 2 in the AL East but he most certainly is a #3.
      The only thing if the Yankees get him, they have to have something else in mind. They would have way to many starters or potential starters. Something else has to give. But I think it’s a good move.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I think they’re getting tired on Burnett’s bipolar performances. Maybe they look to get rid of him next season. It’s too bad- I like AJ and I think he has talent, but just needs to be on medication or something. If they can get Wandy and he gives up consistant outings, it will be a welcome addition.

• pisano - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:37 PM

uyf1950… I’m with you and deathmonkey41, even if he turns out to be a three or four the main thing is he’s a lefty and from what I’ve read he’s pretty crafty, so let’s hope the Astro’s are reasonable in what they ask for and get this deal done. As far as too many starters, I feel at this point Hughes should be in the pen as a long man. He never has gotten his fastball back so until they make a decision on him as far as I’m concerned he’s the odd man out.

• uyf1950 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Guys if and it’s definitely a very big IF. But if the Yankees were to get Wandy they would have: CC, Colon, Garcia, AJ, Nova, Hughes and Wandy on the roster. All as starting pitchers. I would look for Hughes to move to the bullpen. That still leaves 6 guys: CC, Colon, Garcia, AJ, Nova and Wandy. CC, Colon, Garcia and Wandy I can’t imagine not being in the starting rotation. The leaves AJ and Nova one would have to be odd man out. AJ isn’t going anywhere at least not this year. I doubt they want to move Nova. In that case we have to revisit Hughes moving to the bullpen. Could they move Nova to the bullpen and then try and trade Hughes certainly.
        But the point is getting Wandy even if it’s a slim chance presents a whole new set of issues for the Yankees some good some perplexing. Just my opinion.

• spudchukar - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:32 PM

IMHO, Rodriguez is the 2nd best hurler available next to Jimenez. His contract is what has kept him from many suitors. Who better than the Yankees to absorb the bucks? Since the ‘Stros will be unloading a good portion of his salary they will not insist on a great deal in return, probably a couple of second tier prospects. Yankee fans, this is the best option available. He sure beats Bedard, is a lefty sinkerballer who is tough on lefties. Pay the cash, keep the prospects.

6. b7p19 - Jul 31, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Is Wandy Rodriguez really a difference maker down the stretch for the Yankees? I could see Ubaldo, or Felix, but is Wandy going to help ENOUGH to give up a tope prospect for? I would think not.

7. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 31, 2011 at 1:57 PM

God i hope they dont trade for this guy.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey