Jul 31, 2011, 11:42 AM EST
About four hours remain until MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline. And things are really starting to heat up.
Wandy has posted a cool 3.47 ERA and 1.295 WHIP in 19 starts this season, fanning 106 batters and walking only 38 in 122 total innings.
He’s owed $10 million next season, $13 million in 2013, and has a $13 million club option (or $2.5 million buyout) for 2014. His 2011 salary is $7 million.
UPDATE, 11:45 AM: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Astros will have to kick in “big money” in order to pull off a trade. The two sides aren’t “anywhere near a deal” at the moment.
UPDATE, 12:55 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that a Rodriguez trade is “50-50″ to get done before today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline. The Yankees are believed to be his primary suitor.
UPDATE, 2:03 PM: As SI.com’s Jon Heyman notes, Wandy is likely to pass through waivers because of his oversized contract. The Yankees could try again in August if they’re unable to swing a deal today.
UPDATE, 2:54 PM: Sherman says the Yankees’ talks for Wandy are now dead.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)