Jul 31, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
About four hours remain until MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline. And things are really starting to heat up.
Wandy has posted a cool 3.47 ERA and 1.295 WHIP in 19 starts this season, fanning 106 batters and walking only 38 in 122 total innings.
He’s owed $10 million next season, $13 million in 2013, and has a $13 million club option (or $2.5 million buyout) for 2014. His 2011 salary is $7 million.
UPDATE, 11:45 AM: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Astros will have to kick in “big money” in order to pull off a trade. The two sides aren’t “anywhere near a deal” at the moment.
UPDATE, 12:55 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that a Rodriguez trade is “50-50″ to get done before today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline. The Yankees are believed to be his primary suitor.
UPDATE, 2:03 PM: As SI.com’s Jon Heyman notes, Wandy is likely to pass through waivers because of his oversized contract. The Yankees could try again in August if they’re unable to swing a deal today.
UPDATE, 2:54 PM: Sherman says the Yankees’ talks for Wandy are now dead.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)