Jul 31, 2011, 11:42 AM EDT
About four hours remain until MLB’s non-waiver trade deadline. And things are really starting to heat up.
Wandy has posted a cool 3.47 ERA and 1.295 WHIP in 19 starts this season, fanning 106 batters and walking only 38 in 122 total innings.
He’s owed $10 million next season, $13 million in 2013, and has a $13 million club option (or $2.5 million buyout) for 2014. His 2011 salary is $7 million.
UPDATE, 11:45 AM: According to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, the Astros will have to kick in “big money” in order to pull off a trade. The two sides aren’t “anywhere near a deal” at the moment.
UPDATE, 12:55 PM: FOX Sports’ Jon Paul Morosi reports that a Rodriguez trade is “50-50″ to get done before today’s 4 p.m. ET deadline. The Yankees are believed to be his primary suitor.
UPDATE, 2:03 PM: As SI.com’s Jon Heyman notes, Wandy is likely to pass through waivers because of his oversized contract. The Yankees could try again in August if they’re unable to swing a deal today.
UPDATE, 2:54 PM: Sherman says the Yankees’ talks for Wandy are now dead.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 2
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 21
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 39
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 16
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4